• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trading for a nytro with higher miles, bad idea? Anything to watch out for?

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Last trade fell through, so I'm looking at a different nytro. It's an 08 Has 3200 KMS, MBRP pipe, riser, skid plate, and ice scratchers. Any reason to not buy a nitro with this many KMs?

D
Nov 30, 2007
I was told the 4 strokes dont even break in till about 1100. So 3200 is nothing. I ran into a guy last year on an RX1 with 20,000 km on it and had a turbo since day 1 with no issues.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
According to my local yamaha dealer the Nytro motor doesn't break in until 1100 miles like doober said. He said when it fully breaks in it will "unlock" the rest of the horsepower (12-15% according to him).

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Yeah I'm not concerned about the motor, just wondering about any other possible areas these things might had problems once the miles start counting up?

If it has the stock Maverick track you may want to factor the cost of a new track into the overall price of the sled.

The Maverick tracks don't work too well - the lugs bend over and stay down. Your Nytro is just not going to perform well in deep snow unless you make a change.

Most people seem to have used a Challenger Extreme as a replacement.

2010 sleds have an improved version of the Maverick track (higher durometer rating).

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
If it has the stock Maverick track you may want to factor the cost of a new track into the overall price of the sled.

The Maverick tracks don't work too well - the lugs bend over and stay down. Your Nytro is just not going to perform well in deep snow unless you make a change.

Most people seem to have used a Challenger Extreme as a replacement.

2010 sleds have an improved version of the Maverick track (higher durometer rating).

Yeah thanks. Reason for my wanting a nytro is I would put an MCX 180 kit on it, so track is a no brainer for me. Would do it over the summer now. rear skid mid winter, Front end possibility tunnel in time. If I like the chassis I would go all out on it. So no body thinks anything of higher miles? if not I'll see what kind of deal we can get going here.

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
rebuild bushings in front suspension and lower ball joints, they don't last long.

O
Dec 13, 2009
Stillwater, MN.
Oliver

I have an 08 Nytro with a motor that is junk due to the face on a valve falling of at 30 miles an hr. and granaded the whole motor, all the way down to the starter that had a rod sticking through it!
This sled only had 2,300 miles on it riding flat land trails. I bought it new and it was bone stock, now Yamaha says no to helping me out with the $3,500.00 in repair, so I am scraping it out and switching brands.

GOOD LUCK!!!:face-icon-small-fro
Oliver

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
rebuild bushings in front suspension and lower ball joints, they don't last long.

Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I will keep that in mind.

I have an 08 Nytro with a motor that is junk due to the face on a valve falling of at 30 miles an hr. and granaded the whole motor, all the way down to the starter that had a rod sticking through it!
This sled only had 2,300 miles on it riding flat land trails. I bought it new and it was bone stock, now Yamaha says no to helping me out with the $3,500.00 in repair, so I am scraping it out and switching brands.

GOOD LUCK!!!:face-icon-small-fro
Oliver

Yeah sorry to hear about that. I believe you had a topic about it right? I have heard of three stock nytros that had the engine fail on them. Not good when it happens, but it's better than the 3 D8's I have heard of that HAVE NOT had major engine failure. I under stand to you it's a huge deal, and I don't blame you at all, seeing as yamaha won't even stand behind it. But it's an isolated case. On the big picture these are super reliable motors, even with boost if treated right. But thanks, it's good to hear now and then that these motors too are made by man, and can't be as perfect as they might seem. They can also fail like any other motor can.

Premium Features