• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on Nytro "summerization"

E

essexy

Jul 29, 2009
Ames, IA
Sad to say, but here in the next week or two i'll be putting my '09 Nytro to bed until next winter. At one point (either on here or on ty4stroke) I thought I saw a topic about weather to change the oil now before storing it, or to just wait until the fall and start fresh. I can see an arguement both ways so I want to see what you guys think. Also, any other tips/tricks/advise you can offer me? First sled..... Thanks!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
All i do is leave a 1/8-1/4 tank of fuel with some fuel stabil run through the engine. Pull the battery and put it on the battery tender. Some will tell you to change the oil and filter as well. No stroke junk fogging LOL !

W

Walden

Dec 18, 2008
Wisconsin
I don't know that it makes a huge difference if you change it now or fall and I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. As you say, good arguments for both. I noticed you said first sled, one thing to consider is how recently (or if) you had your 500 mile oil change done. Depending on how recnet that was you may be fine waiting. Also, rather than Stabil in the gas, I've been using a product called "Sea Foam" that I've been happy with. May be subliminal, but the engine seems to run smoother with it on the first run the following fall.

Good luck!

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
I pull the battery and keep it charged. I also change the oil and filter BEFORE storage. Then I add STABIL to the tank and run the sled a couple minutes. Then I open up the airbox and I spray a little fogging oil in each intake. (This may not be necessary but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry) Then I loosen the track and hit every zerk with a little grease. Then I give it a bath with warm soapy water and roll it into the garage elevate the back end and put on the cover. I go through a fairly intensive process on all 4 of our sleds. It seems to pay off though. I have never had any major issues when the snow starts to fly again.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
I do the oil and filter before it goes to bed, why leave gukky oil in it all summer. Sameo on gas, leave about a gallon in it and add Stabil. Grease all the fittings, also have a tunnel stand to lift the rear up and take all the weight off the springs and do the same on the front, belly pay jack. I leave my battery in the sled but take the terminals off, give it a charge every other month. Certainly dosen't hurt to give it a good wash and wax before bedtime either! Sherm

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
All i do is leave a 1/8-1/4 tank of fuel with some fuel stabil run through the engine. Pull the battery and put it on the battery tender. Some will tell you to change the oil and filter as well. No stroke junk fogging LOL !
Gasoline has a high affinity for oxygen, so the less available air in the fuel tank, the less oxidation will occur over the summer.

Your best solution is to either store the sled with an EMPTY TANK or a FULL TANK.

And 1/8th of a tank is pretty close to empty.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features