• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the 2011 800 2012 EPA compliant????

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
....The PRO RMK looks pretty sweet. Have heard about engine problems since the premire of this engine in the Dragon's. Wondering if most feel confident that the engine problems have been addressed, and if this mill is EPA compliant for 2012, or is there another engine coming down the pipeline for next year?

Ace

J
Mar 18, 2008
Truckee
Address the problem yourself with a power commander 5. After 2 burndowns on my 08 800 I finally wised up and eliminated the EPA myself. Best $300 Ive ever spent on my sled. Now I have noticeably more power, 1-2 more MPG and piece of mind that I'll make it home under my own power. Sled has been trouble free since I installed that little box. The 2011 will likely have similar problems or will at least be finicky on fuel Quality until EPA mapping is eliminated. Some Dragons were running at 17:1 air fuel ratio in the mid range to pass EPA then over fueled on top to make up for it. 12:1 -13.5:1 is considered safe. Also I'll bet any 2011 demos do not yet have EPA compliant mapping. The show room models will likely have less power. As far as being 2012 compliant, I doubt it because Polaris still is having problems with their latest "update" so their probably pulling their hair out trying to pass the 2012 Standard.

Last edited:
M

Motoman

Dec 31, 2007
franklin, id
on the ride I went on, I asked the engineers that question, and they said that the sleds we were riding were production models and that they were EPA compliant for 2012. That is what they said.

N
Jan 31, 2008
Libby, MT
on the ride I went on, I asked the engineers that question, and they said that the sleds we were riding were production models and that they were EPA compliant for 2012. That is what they said.

They told us the same thing. They also said they have made a few changes to the engine "it is the same motor with some changes" exact words, so hopefully that is addressed.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Not yet EPA certified....but I belive they are in the final version.... the demo tour will also be very helpful in the refining of this engines control package.

The one that I rode was a strong runner.

The new 800's are a completely different Bosch EFi with 2 cyl-block mounted injectors with rail mounted fuel pressure regulator.

The EPA certs will

T
What box is the best for this sled??? Is it like the BD box or is it a plug and play and can you take it off for WARR. work. The ones still running I ride with are guys that donot want to tune, just ride and most have a slp pipe so is there a program for that also. Damm EPA anyway. Also how much for the box and where is the best place to buy??? Sorry for stealing your thread.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I'm surprised anyone would still believe anything Polaris has to say regarding their 800 motor. What is funny, the other OEM's are not having the same issues meeting EPA regs. Maybe had Polaris taken the emission regs seriously they wouldn't be pushing junk out the door and living off their reputation. I know of yet another, stock 800 Dragon burning down in my town. The guy took it to Eagle River Polaris/Arctic Cat and they had dozens and dozens of Dragons sitting there waiting for back ordered parts.

I think someone would have to be out of their f-ing mind to spring order a 2011 Poo 800.

D
Why do so many people think the 800 engine is junk...It's a good motor with a lean midrange...That's how I've always jetted my sleds anyways...I would prefer carbs but the EPA is not going away, so guys are going to have to buy EGT gauges, learn how to ride around the lean spots in the fuel mapping and quit complaining !!

polaris_guy13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'm surprised anyone would still believe anything Polaris has to say regarding their 800 motor. What is funny, the other OEM's are not having the same issues meeting EPA regs. Maybe had Polaris taken the emission regs seriously they wouldn't be pushing junk out the door and living off their reputation. I know of yet another, stock 800 Dragon burning down in my town. The guy took it to Eagle River Polaris/Arctic Cat and they had dozens and dozens of Dragons sitting there waiting for back ordered parts.

I think someone would have to be out of their f-ing mind to spring order a 2011 Poo 800.

Arctic Cat isnt even close to making 2012 Emissions with there 2-Stroke motors, Ski-Doo wasnt until the 800 E-Tec. Polaris I believe does or is extremely close to meeting this emissions. So wait till 2012 EPA Regs come and we will see how things pan out.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Why do so many people think the 800 engine is junk...It's a good motor with a lean midrange...That's how I've always jetted my sleds anyways...I would prefer carbs but the EPA is not going away, so guys are going to have to buy EGT gauges, learn how to ride around the lean spots in the fuel mapping and quit complaining !!

Damn! Why didn't I think of that 9 pistons ago. What WAS I thinking?

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007

i want one. trying to convince myself not to buy one. could sell both sleds i have and more than pay for a new one. i think/hope this new efi system will solve many if not all of the motor issues. if not then a pcV. but then again, my 09 rips, always has. but my bog was mostly minor and now a non issue with the slp single.

pv

polaris_guy13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Damn! Why didn't I think of that 9 pistons ago. What WAS I thinking?

You say that you have burnt down 9 pistons but yet you say you have a Turbo Dragon. If in fact you have a Turbo Dragon then i would say that the pistons are your own fault. If it is stock then it is a different story

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Nope, the first 2 were w/o gauges. Those were wrecked. The others were never seized, just scored. The wideband wasn't able to prevent the scoring in every case, but it did ensure that I wasn't towed off of the mountain after the first burndown.

You may have missed it, but it has also on it's 3rd block, 3rd ecu, 2nd vr. 2 injectors were also replaced during the update and they replaced the fuel filter again. No worries though, it is supposedly gtg now. Of course, I wouldn't know that for sure because it probably has 10 miles on it after the update (Done by a very experienced tuner, not me). I have only ridden it for 2 days this season and that was about 2 months ago.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There is NO fuel control box developed for this motor yet... no one, literally, has this system on their test bed for development yet..

It will be next fall before the testing of any "piggyback" system is possible.

This is a COMPLETLY different injection system.... not a revamped or re-mapped current CFi system.

What box is the best for this sled??? Is it like the BD box or is it a plug and play and can you take it off for WARR. work. The ones still running I ride with are guys that donot want to tune, just ride and most have a slp pipe so is there a program for that also. Damm EPA anyway. Also how much for the box and where is the best place to buy??? Sorry for stealing your thread.

J
Mar 18, 2008
Truckee

I didn't spend 11 grand to "ride around the lean spots" so my sled wouldn't blow up!

Premium Features