• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Build IQR 800 155 or buy a new 2011 pro rmk 800...?

J
Dec 20, 2007
Ogden, Utah
Have always wanted to build an IQR mtn sled like one winters has posted on here
but now with polaris introducing this new sled I'm thinking it might be the way to go?

Whats everyones thoughts?

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
I would have to ride the new sled first to really give a good answer.
My Iqr mountain handles so much better than the dragon, Its hard to imagine something better. I'm not going to lie though, it was a frustrating build at times and sometimes I wanted to just go buy a dragon and call it a day. But it turned out in the end. So you kinda have to weigh in the build process vs buying one and just riding it.

I think the more ridged chassis is what makes the IQR a better handling sled and it looks like polaris took the steps to stiffen up this new one. I also have a holz coil-over which I think is a better suspension and polaris did that too.

I would really like to ride one to see if its even close to my IQR, if it is than Polaris has a winner....except its kinda ugly

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I completely agree with Jet, mine was VERY frustrating at times also, but i think it was all worth it. I was also comtemplating buying a dragon or building a IQR when i started, and i honestly almost quit the IQR project and went and bought a Dragon. Now im glad i didnt. Personally i think the IQR is one of the better chassis made and it would be hard to beat. And the new PRO-RMK looks like a XP to me...or maybe that new Cat ZR1 or whatever that 4 stroker thing is...

himarker

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i too agree with Jet. His sled is THE BEST handling sled i've ridden. it can do what ever you want it to; and asks for more.

a lot of it depends on your fabrication skills; what kind of access to you have to them...or how big is your check book. Jet could have bought a brand new dragon, ported and piped from Carls for about what he has in the IQr... and he had to do all of the work him sled, and smoking deals on the parts.

My IQr is similar; i have a good amount of $$ in it but i think it will was worth it. i had to miss almost a year of riding though because work got in the way of the build so i was out a sled.

another aspect is your view on having something different. any joe-bag-of donuts can drop 15k at the dealer and have a sweet sled to ride; and if you drop the cash you'll be just another guy on the mountain. i think most of us would agree that having something you built yourself gives a little sense of pride...and in turn makes riding it that much more enjoyable.

like jet i too would like to ride a new one though...if it handles like our IQR's and has a factory warranty that might be hard to pass up

B
May 29, 2009
I would build for several reasons. #1)Give polaris time to get the bugs worked out. 2) IQR's look way more aggressive than the dragons and rush platforms. 3) most importantly you would have way more rider's satisfaction driving something you built the way YOU want it. Good luck either way.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
After spending all morning on the new one ... and riding some very nicely setup IQR mountain mods... I'd say you will be better off with the 2011 actually more rigid than the IQR.

They did a nice job.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
If you like to jump...and you measure your days ride by how big of air you got....get the IQR

If you like boondocking and climbing all day.... get the RMK.

I like both so i have a RMK and i am turning my IQr 151 back to a shorty with a new 600 H.O.

As far as the rush RMK.....I will be selling my RMK this fall and buying a new Rush....

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
they are the same

It is funny, because everyone that has rode my 05racer bulkhead with an 08 raw tunnel and a 155 track has said "wow, this is the sled polaris should have built." And they just did...better. From the side, it looks like the same geometry as the IQR, just the steering post is about 2" back on the RMK but other than that, I can't see much more of a difference. Granted, they have a different bumper but as far as rider geometry goes, they look pretty close. It will be interesting to see where they are priced. The IQr's maybe cheaper to build but the RMK's will take less maintenance. (racer jackshaft bearings go bad every season)

W

winter

Nov 26, 2007
Westcliffe Colorado
IQR/Pro RMK

I had to post since my name was used, the IQR is great, I think I have built more of these sleds then anyone, I have done many different combinations as well. My thought is as I said in the beginning when someone asked why build a sled like this, my answer was theropy. If you like a good project the IQR is one that if done correct is well worth it, but the new sled polaris has come up with looks to be a winner, the chassis looks very good and I believe you could build yourself a sub 400 lb sled without breaking the bank, if you want to do this in an IQR it will cost you $$$$$$$, again this is just my thoughts on the subject.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
ride one first

After talking to some buddies "in the know" and taking a closer look at the ProRMK, the rider position on the sled is almost identical to the 2010 consumer IQrmk. If you look at a IQr, the riders feet are much farther forward (4-6") which puts you over the motor more. The feet farther forward is what I like about the IQr's "Feel" compared to the Consumer IQrmk. Even with stock consumer IQrmk suspension all the way around, a budget IQr just feels lighter and easier to maneuver or "more flippable" if we are talking in terms of the ProRMK. I have decided to do what I do every year and build another mountain IQr. We'll see where this years sled takes me.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
I really like my iqr, but the difference is going to be in the weight. The pro is quite a bit lighter and even with big coin thrown at the iqr it will be very hard to overcome the extra weight of the beefy bulkhead and chaincase.
As for handling who can really say their iqr is better or worse until they ride the pro?

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Pro-RMK. It's both of my sleds put together, just way more solid! Buy it.

Last edited:

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
I thought I heard rumor that the Pro-RMK will be about $1000.00 cheaper than the 2010 and 2009's. That would be cool. I am really up in the air about that engine. Seems they are changing it big AGAIN, and are de-tuning it. While everyone is going up in tuning Polaris is de-tuning a engine that couldn't put out the numbers they where saying from the get go (2008).

As far as jumping goes (I own U) if you make a mountain IQR by using the consumer RMK suspension you are going to be just as weak as the consumer sleds. Yes the bulkhead is stronger and the tunnel is. But when it comes to jumping the mountain skids can't handle it. Thats why the stock IQR skid wieghs about 80lbs (121) and a RMK 144" weighs about 40lbs. I know you are putting your 121" back in I own U, but the topic of the thread was building a mountain IQR.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
The Pro seemed to run at least as well as my updated SLPified Dynotech Jimed '08 800. Not sure how the mapping will be come production time, but it was plenty for me. I will be investing in the PCV or whatever it will be for the new ecm when they are available again. That may be the only add I put on it to keep my 4 years of warranty in tact. Other than that, that sled has everything I've dumped into mine, stock! Love it!

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
The thing is that with all the hype of this new sled you will see 30 of them on the hill when you will probly be the only one on a custom IQR. I love mine its made me such a better rider. I came off a highly modded 2006 iq chassie with boost and enjoy my 685 struthers and wide z-broz suspension and the light feal of the racer chassie much more. I might see one or two throught the year and i ride twice a week everyweek theres snow. I get looks wherever i go and people love the look of the iqr. To me thats worth a few extra pounds and the fact that im only into my sled 6,500.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
hey all you IQR guys. I am parting out my 09 dragon 155. Engine and all... if i don't sell it this weekend at jackson it is up for parts....

$3725 for COMPLEATE engine package (comes with HPS can, stock pipe, PCV, ECU, and all sylonoids/sensors, and primary)
$3725 for rolling chassis (with ez-ryde, new gripper skis, boss seat, secondary ETC)

OR buy the whole damn thing for $7500...

i also have the stock 155" rear suspension
151x15x2.125 camoplast extream track
and RMK tank.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Premium Features