• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Horribe mid range bog, 09 800w/ Boondocker turbo

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
J

jfield

Dec 2, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
if you pin it up a hill, the clutch engages-then it has a real bad bog-then if you feather the throttle it comes out of it and the top end runs great.

it ran really good one day on the 09 map then had a bog the second ride, so i did the latest 10 map and it still did it, played with the psi numbers a little but it didnt seem to help.

I dont think its the ebc, but that is at Boondockers right now for the update, any guesses or info would be great.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
What elevation, and what numbers are you running on your box and ebc? Does it feel like a lean bog or does it pop when you clean it out?

J

jfield

Dec 2, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
8000 to 10000 elevation, psi 42 55 60 on the box was the best i could get it to run. there is no pop or bang, boondocker said to go up with my numbers and justin barnes said to go down so im totally lost.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I would just give it to one of your friends. I am pretty sure he will need a spare sled someday. By the way, you should change your status next to your user name. Your turbo is installed! Plus you got a free hex wrench and a roll of electrical tape to boot.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
8000 to 10000 elevation, psi 42 55 60 on the box was the best i could get it to run. there is no pop or bang, boondocker said to go up with my numbers and justin barnes said to go down so im totally lost.

What about your 3000 and 5000 numbers. Your quite a bit higher in elevation than I am but I'm running 10lbs with these #'s and 100% 100LL av.

28 42 40

3000 0 2 2
5000 2 3 1

My wash is great and on a long pull my egt's are about 1275. I'm also running the latest flash from Poo.

J

jfield

Dec 2, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
I did get out yesterday, and those numbers from MAG did seem to work better, but my ebc that i just had the update done on is not working right it wont tell my how much boost im running. The ebc stays at zero, and my box says that the max boost i got was 2.3. I think its way more than that cause my sled went in to detonation. Im less than happy with boondocker, ive got 1 good ride since put this turbo on.

Last edited:
M
Oct 24, 2009
8 I have several hundred kms on my BD PG D8 and it nothing but rocks. I have to be carefull when riding now cause she always want to go over backwards.

One thing though, I had a Performance Sled Shop install and set up for me. That is the secret. This is sort of a bolt on and go setup from what I understand, but you really need to know what you are doing to get this set up right. And this guy does. First ride (setup ride) with the builder, we did very little, but play with the HI number on the PSI and crank up the boost. Havent looked back. He has installed 30 or so, and they are perfect.

MCA

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I ride with him and know that his was installed by one of the most reputable dealers and most experienced installers in the Rocky Mountain west. I have witnessed his frustration with his boondockers set-up. Painful to watch. Hopefully he will get it figured out, sucks to watch your buddy limp it back to the parking lot when everyone else is out riding.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
BD numbers

I have some good numbers for them BD kits, pumpgassers running with ada and the mini intercooler. I have spent most of my trip helping out people with bd kits than I have got to ride my own setups. The numbers I have are for the lastest polaris reflash. They are no where close to what BD was suggesting these guys to run.

Iam sure this post will get deleted so tell your friends if they need some free advice.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Please Silber Please let us know what to do? and thanks for your advice

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
I did get out yesterday, and those numbers from MAG did seem to work better, but my ebc that i just had the update done on is not working right it wont tell my how much boost im running. The ebc stays at zero, and my box says that the max boost i got was 2.3. I think its way more than that cause my sled went in to detonation. Im less than happy with boondocker, ive got 1 good ride since put this turbo on.

Could you hear the wastegate 'shuttering' when you let off the throttle?
Is the wastegate set fairly tight, linkage ain't hanging up?
Possibly there is an issue with the 'spaghetti' lines maybe plugged?
Can you hear the turbo spooling, does the turbine freely spin?
I know some dumb questions but ya never know.:face-icon-small-hap

I

Irideyamaha

Nov 13, 2008
I know it sounds dumb but it kind of sounds like you have a broken primary spring.

EDIT: Maybe not if its running good on the top end.

Last edited:
J

jfield

Dec 2, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
I know it sounds dumb but it kind of sounds like you have a broken primary spring.

EDIT: Maybe not if its running good on the top end.

i've never gotten a check engine light from a broken primary spring.
If the primary spring was broke i would just loose rpms

Last edited:

scubba steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Iowa
Like irideyamaha said dont overlook the primary spring. I have broke 2 on mine, and it does wierd stuff. I'd listen to justin. He has never led us astray

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Funny I should stumble across this thread today. I was riding yesterday, and until then had never had this problem. Been running the same #'s for quite awhile, only making very slight adjustments for elevation. I got out and cased a landing across a open creek. Immediately, for the rest of the day, I got a mid range problem. My check engine light never came on, but some of the time coming up to full throttle, or going from full, letting off and then trying to come back up, I got terrible bog. It was like a WA-WA-WA-WA, kind of sound. Like was mentioned earlier, I could back off and feather through it to get back up to full (not exactly optimal when climbing). I have to assume that this is a mechanical issue caused by the bad landing, and was thinking maybe a pinched fuel line or bad injector. I will update when I find something out. Any help or suggestions would help a few of us it sounds like.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I have some good numbers for them BD kits, pumpgassers running with ada and the mini intercooler. I have spent most of my trip helping out people with bd kits than I have got to ride my own setups. The numbers I have are for the lastest polaris reflash. They are no where close to what BD was suggesting these guys to run.

Iam sure this post will get deleted so tell your friends if they need some free advice.

So what's the magic numbers, you can p.m. me if you don't want to share with the general public. The numbers I'm running aren't what bd recommended either so I'm curious what others are running.:face-icon-small-hap

J

jfield

Dec 2, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
i didn't get to take it out last weekend because i worked Saturday, and got invited to go on a demo ride for the 2011 pro rmk in island park on Sunday(they are going to be the sled to beat, but that's a whole norther thread)

I will get out this Saturday and try both sets of # and let you know what i find. Impatientforsnow try mags #'s i think they are the ticket, boondockers starting #'s haven't changed since 2008. so 5 or 6 maps later......

http://www.boondockers.com/instruct...8-09 dragon 800 starting numbers pg w-ada.pdf

J

jfield

Dec 2, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
i ran 2 sets of #'s, both sets got rid of the bog,mag's set of #"s ran good, but this set i thought ran a little better at 9000'.

psi 37 50 57
3000 -3 -3 0
5000 0 0 -7

There is still a little flutter but it is WAY better i'll just have to fine tune it out.

Hope it help, thanks for all the impute.

Premium Features