• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

throtle sticking on xlt

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
It has to be one of the two. I would be the throttle box for the cables have moisture in them. Pretty common problems on older Polaris triples. My Ultra went off the side of the mountain in West Yellow Stone and into the trees when my throttle stuck.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
so how would i check if its the box

If its the old original one where the cables meet together is clear plastic union box. You should be able to see if there is any kind of moisture in there. If I were you I would pull the cable off the throttle block and spray some JB 80 down the cable just to make sure.

T
Dec 1, 2007
I have had a slide freeze in the carb many times before, by the time you get it shut down and the air box out of the way the melt and are back to normal. Those old round slides were bad for that, especially when it was very cold and frost in the air. Could explain why you can't find a problem.

M
Jul 9, 2009
the engine I dropped in supposidly had this problem but in all the jostleiing around of swaping engines and fabricating parts it went away. My thought would of been some wd-40 or jb-80 sprayed down the cable to make sure it is not just old and getting worn or dry in the cable and make sure it is not hanging up anywhere. basically follow you cables from the throttle to the carbs and see if you can find anywhere it is having a friction point that would cause it to stick. it's a simple part should not have a complex problem.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
frozen

My sled was doing this on monday morning, it was particularly cold compared to the rest of the season, and I had been going through alot of deep snow the day before. I was suspecting some snow getting to the carbs through the airbox and melting, then hanging out until the sled cooled down when it froze the slides. I could open the throttle more but the slides would not drop back down, and my cable was actually disconnecting from the throttle lever.

Later in the day when it warmed up I was able to get it all freed up pretty easily. When I pulled the caps on the top of the carbs there was a little bit of ice, like about 2 frozen drops of water sitting atop each of the slides. Works fine now, I just oiled up the cable to be sure (my Clymer shop manual actually calls for a weekly oiling of the throttle cable to prevent any sticking whatsoever).

Premium Features