• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steel reeds D 7 ?

S

super swede

Nov 26, 2007
Anyone running the steel reeds in a dragon i have heard mixed result
i need new reeds ,wath are my options?
Jonny:face-icon-small-con

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I don't have any first hand experience with these, but here is something to consider. Metal can bend, carbon fiber cannot. If a CF reed petal is made correctly, it should not have sealing issues, unless contamination gets between it and the reed block, or the petal actually breaks/chips/etc. I personally use boyesen on mine (D7 BD race gasser) and get good life out of them. Get the "Power Reeds Super Stock" petals if you do go with Boyesen

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
I don't have any first hand experience with these, but here is something to consider. Metal can bend, carbon fiber cannot. If a CF reed petal is made correctly, it should not have sealing issues, unless contamination gets between it and the reed block, or the petal actually breaks/chips/etc. I personally use boyesen on mine (D7 BD race gasser) and get good life out of them. Get the "Power Reeds Super Stock" petals if you do go with Boyesen

Pretty sure if you call boyesen they make turbo specific reed petals.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
A thing to consider about steel reeds is when they break/chip the metal fragments go through the motor and can cause damage. When stock reeds break they wont cause any damage and they last a decent amount of time given your not running lean or lean popping. For our turbo customers stock reeds is what is recommended on the Dragons.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
The metal reeds won't bend. They are not made of just plain old steel.

They are spring steel. It will break before it bends.

Thats what I would be worried about is them breaking and tearing up the motor.

Last edited:
D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Those are the ones I was talking about. They sell them as "Power Reeds" or "Super Stock Reeds"

This is the body of an email from boyesen about my inquiry on turbo reeds for my 02 RMK.

"We have two different reeds available that will hold up in a Turbo engine.
The reeds install on your stock Polaris reed cages.

1) The Boyesen single stage fiberglass reeds for the 2002 Polaris RMK 800
Turbo are part # 568SF1 TURBO. These are sold per cylinder. The price is
$29.95 USD + shipping. (2 sets are required)

2) The Carbon Tech single stage carbon fiber reeds for the 2002 Polaris
RMK800 Turbo are part # 275HT. These are sold as a twin engine set. The
price is $117.95 USD + shipping. (1 set is required)

If you have any additional questions, or if you would like to place an
order, please contact us.

With best regards,

Cheryl
Boyesen Engineering / Carbon Tech
8 Rhoades Road
Lenhartsville, PA 19534
USA
tel # 610-756-6818 / 800-441-1177
fax # 610-756-4102
E-mail: info@boyesen.com

I just want to clear up any confusion about our Pro's Choice Power & Performance "Spring Steel Reeds".

Yes, we have experienced 2 isolated issues of premature failure of our "Arctic Cat" reed petals. The reason for the failure was simple yet problematic being that the reeds were laid out on the spring steel material stock with the "grain" structure flowing in the wrong direction "across the petal from left to right" when they should have been laid out with the grain flowing from base to tip of petal. To clear up any confusion, this was an issue with the Arctic Cat Turbo reeds only. The Polaris models with smaller cages (XC's to newer RMK's) and the larger cage Dragon/CFI models have worked flawlessly with no failures reported and have correct grain flow. Both Cat and Polaris riders have consistantly reported much better throttle response over fiber reeds.

Furthermore, our spring steel reeds are very flexable and can be bent to angles over 90 degrees without snapping and retain memory. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly @ 715-271-5487, I'd be happy to address any questions.

Thank you,

Justin Durand
Pro's Choice Power & Performance

Note: These photos show how flexible and durable our Turbo Spring Steel Reeds are. Try bending and stressing your fiber reeds like this!

Attachments

• arctic cat turbo reeds resized.jpg
    arctic cat turbo reeds resized.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Turbo Spring Steel Reeds.jpg
    Turbo Spring Steel Reeds.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Turbo Spring Steel Reeds Flexing (2).jpg
    Turbo Spring Steel Reeds Flexing (2).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
S

super swede

Nov 26, 2007
Steel reeds

Justin i dont se anyone posting about the steel reeds in the cfi motor
how mutch testing has been done on the polaris,and how many sets
are out there.
what type of reed cage is better for boosted motors old style or
v-force style.
Thanks
Jonny

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
I just want to clear up any confusion about our Pro's Choice Power & Performance "Spring Steel Reeds".

Yes, we have experienced 2 isolated issues of premature failure of our "Arctic Cat" reed petals. The reason for the failure was simple yet problematic being that the reeds were laid out on the spring steel material stock with the "grain" structure flowing in the wrong direction "across the petal from left to right" when they should have been laid out with the grain flowing from base to tip of petal. To clear up any confusion, this was an issue with the Arctic Cat Turbo reeds only. The Polaris models with smaller cages (XC's to newer RMK's) and the larger cage Dragon/CFI models have worked flawlessly with no failures reported and have correct grain flow. Both Cat and Polaris riders have consistantly reported much better throttle response over fiber reeds.

Furthermore, our spring steel reeds are very flexable and can be bent to angles over 90 degrees without snapping and retain memory. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly @ 715-271-5487, I'd be happy to address any questions.

Thank you,

Justin Durand
Pro's Choice Power & Performance

Note: These photos show how flexible and durable our Turbo Spring Steel Reeds are. Try bending and stressing your fiber reeds like this!

To clarify what I posted about the spring steel not bending, I mean bending with memory. If you bend it tight enough, it will break of course thats much tighter than it ever would bend as a reed.

As Justin posted, grain direction is important. Any metal bent with the grain is much weaker than bent against the grain.

Justin, not sure if you can or want to say but what are you using to cut the reeds with, Laser? Just wondering about the smoothness of the edges. The smoother the cut the less prone to cracking they will be.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I agree with most everything posted so far, however, Spring steel, while definitely not as prone to bending as typical metals, can still gain new memory and be bent in a different shape. Not trying to knock anyones product, I am just giving my honest opinion. The steel reeds probably work great, they just scare me slightly, due the possibility of breakage, and the chance that they could bend slightly (it doesn't take much at all) and be rendered useless. Carbon reeds of course, will open up off the cages too, so if the price is comparable, then it is a mute point on replacement.

Premium Features