• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YTZ7S/ Any problems with this bat?

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Just trying to get some feedback on the performance of this battery compared to stock. Has anyone experienced any reliability issues with it? Does the YTZ7S provide enough juice for repeated cold starts? The stock Nytro bat looks like overkill, and appears to be a suitable application for maybe a Kenworth. I would really like to make the switch, but would appreciate some intelligent honest info from people who know. -Thanks

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
Had it now its an ornament on the shelf, and once in a while I pack it in my backpack if im the only sled with a battery. If your running the heated grips, headlight and starting a few extra times and its -10 and lower it seems to wear down too fast.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Had a couple of rides with mine, worked 100% so far. My thoughts where the only time it would be cold enough to have trouble starting may be at the beginning of the day. I carry jumper cables in my truck and sled so I could always jump if I needed. Through the day when the sled has been running it sparks right up with no trouble as of yet.

I had a post on mounting it is well.

GL

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Over Christmas we were travelling to a sledding area and the temperature dropped to -23C through some of the mountain passes. It stayed cold until just before we unload and it was about -12C there. I have a ytz7S and my buddy has a 10s, and neither of our Nytro's would start. Both batteries are kept on tenders when not in use. We boosted the sleds and didn't have any other problems the rest of the weekend.

I never had a problem before this and haven't had one since. If the sleds would have been in an enclosed trailer I don't think it would have been an issue.

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
So if I were to remove the headlight, the reduced draw might make the YTZ7S liveable in most conditions, except for below zero cold starts...maybe,...still undecided.

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the light at all. The sled charges the battery fine. Like I wrote above, I have only had trouble the one time and it was pretty cold. At -15C (5 F) I have never had an issue.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
I think they say the 10s is 9 pounds lighter than stock and the 7 is 12 pounds, Can someone confirm this? All the reports I read on the 7 is people are running battery tenders and keep jumper cables near and the 10s will work more or less as stock. To me its a no brainer, I wanna ride not even have to think about something just to save 3 lbs.

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
friend of mine had 10s and it didn't last and he always kept it on a tender. I've been running a 14 for a couple years with no problems. starts at -20 and i don't need to keep it on a tender. only 4.5lb weght saving though

E

evil1

Aug 7, 2008
fort mcmurray, alberta,canada
Worth a try I guess. I will keep the stocker in the trailer just in case. Thanks again for the reply.

i'm on the fence still with this decision,,,if the thing doesnt start in the cold temps,,its an exspensive chopper ride out,,,other than using the elect starter,,what emerg start could a person use,,i can't realy see a strap on the clutch workn,,,any other suggestions

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You would be surprised about the strap in the clutch it works way better than you would think. If you run in the hills exclusively a 7s will be no problem at all. I have been running one for 3 years and no issues on a T Apex. I have my sled in a heated enclosed so my sled never is cold soaked. If you ride in Ft Mac and your sled is parked outside all night not even the stock battery will last LOL

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Strap around the clutch works well.......even on a gear reduction RX1 engine. Try it some time just for the hell of it.

Premium Features