• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

idling on one cylinder

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
So I am having issues with my 2000 700MM it only idles on the center cylinder. The PTO only build a little heat and the MAG is ice cold. After idling for a few minutes they the two cylinders are flooded. I went completely through the carbs, needle valves, choke, pilot system everything thing is working fine. I have 135psi of compression in all thress cylinders. I even switched the carbs around and the same thing happens. The spark does look pretty weak. Any idea what the problem is? I am fresh out of ideas.

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
What's the specs on the resistance in the caps and coils?

with the meter set at ohmsx1k, the cap should read 5k ohms through it. for the coil, with the + lead to the male bullet and the - lead to the female, meter set at ohms x 1, .05 -.07 ohms. for secondary resistance, from the male bullet to the plug wire, 2.7 - 3.7 ohms. would you be interested in a service manual on cd for $12.50, shipped?

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
So, here is what i found tonight PTO cap-5.7 Kohms wire 3.117Kohms coil 0.2 ohms. Center cap 5.02 Kohms wire 3.112 Kohms coil 0.2ohms. MAG cap 15.3 Kohms wire 3.094Kohms and coil 0.2 ohms. So it looks to me like all three wires are out of spec and the one cap on the mag. Correct?

before you dub them junk, clip about a 1/4" of the wires, take a small bottle brush up inside the cap, and make sure the pokey thing on the cap where the wire fits in is shiny, as well as all the bullet connectors to the coils. dont be afraid to use di-electric grease if your seeing carbon deposits on the head. corrosion is resistance. also, when you get all the connections clean, swap the coils around and see if the issue follows the coils.

Premium Features