• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 boondockers pumpgas d8 with new ebc and intercooler question

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
09 boondockers pumpgas d8 with new ebc and intercooler question
I run 2.5 gallons of race gas with 91 for the rest.

When i get past 3/4 wide open throttle my sled looses power with no det light.
I am at 6-9k feet.
The numbers i was running were 40 50 60.
I tried everything down to 39 43 53 and it still ran poorly. I also ran as high as 42 55 65 with no luck. I kinda just fell on its face.
If i kept it at 3/4 throttle it would run great.
Anyone else have this setup dialed in for simular elevation?

Also i was running my ebc at all zeros and was gettting 7.8 lbs of boost all the way up to 8.6?
Any reason it would run that much boost?

rubymountainrider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
springcreek nv
mine was cutting out on top end like it was running lean or hitting reave limmiter i keep leaning out and tryed heavier wieghts did no good then i decided to try new spark plugs.try changing spark plugs ran great after that.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
What flash are you running? The wastegate actuator that paxson supplied BD is why you are seeing 7+# boost as a minimum. Need to change that out if you want to run less boost.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
I am running the 2009 flash. I will try new plugs. Are you guys running irridium? I have been running the stock plugs but it seems like they dont last long. I had my set hp set to zero and was getting 9+ pounds of boost. It ran pretty bad. Had alt comp set to zero also. I would think that should get me around 7 pounds but not 9? Is there a trick i can do to lower the boost? I would like 9 pounds if it would run well but i can only use about half throttle and then it runs poorly. I guess i need to do some homework and figure out what will make it run. Do I need to adjust my cfg? It is set to 55 out of the box. Thanks for the help if anyone has some.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I'm new to boost but am having the same problems at 1700 ft, 100% sunoco 112, Today I installed that new low boost actuator and left the rod loose and it ran much better (5.8lbs) but still sucked at way top, tomarrow I'm trying 76 gr wts as the box said 8250 max r's and I'll post back let's keep up the chatter as I learn more here than on the phone to BD

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
Found out today that i have my actuator hose and my vent for solenoid hose backwards. oops Glad i didnt hurt anything yet. Big learning curve on these turbos. Kyle at boondockers is very helpful. He knew right away when i told him how much boost i was getting. (9+ lbs) with the ebc numbers at zero. Picked up some irridium plugs today too. Even at half throttle it was running pretty good....,

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
He's my favorite too but all of em are to into it, like computor guys they don't seem to like to spend time with you if you are not a very knowledgable person, they just tell you what they think it is and good bye but sometimes need to quiz us to better guess what is going on, I'm sure it'll change after we educate ourselves in time IMO

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
update

Took the sled out tonight for a test lap on a small hill.

max psi was 4.5

It ran pretty good in the beginning i was very psyched.
Changed hp from 0 to 20 and it started run poorly from 1/2 trottle to wot.

Tried going up from in 1 psi intervals in both mid and high. until it would not even run anymore at 42 58 and 68

Backed it off to 42 44 and 55 and it started to run to lean.
Changed hp back to 0 and it still ran poorly at starting bd numbers.

Not sure what to look at next i must have something else off.

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
Boost Leak

We have seen this same symptom several times in our group. Almost every time it has been a boost leak. Usually the throttle body boot but could be leaking anywhere.
Arc

C
Feb 8, 2008
Not sure if this helps, but mine acted the same way, no top end almost like you hit a rev limiter, and it turned out to be the ecm. You might try swapping ecms and vr.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
BD pg turbo question

Just to let you know what happened to us. We have the BD pg turbo with the mini inter cooler. After we had the update done and the new re flash we had to re tune the #'s. It was running great and pulled harder then it ever has. Then it was running hot on the egt's, and hitting the det. sensor. We were checking every thing we could think of, trying different #'s, plugs, doing comp test, checking for loss of boost, inspecting the pistons & cylinders. It was gradually getting worse with every ride. All I can say now is change your fuel filter every year or every 1000 miles like I think it said to.

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
And run the br9eix not the bpr9eix. Mine runs like crap with the bpr's.

do you have the updated head? i ask because i do have the updated head and accidentally ran the br9eix instead of the protruded ones and my sled seemed to run great also, even though i thought the new heads wanted the protruded plugs. plus seems to be a big pia to find the bpr9eix.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
do you have the updated head? i ask because i do have the updated head and accidentally ran the br9eix instead of the protruded ones and my sled seemed to run great also, even though i thought the new heads wanted the protruded plugs. plus seems to be a big pia to find the bpr9eix.

Yes I have the updated head and for whatever reason the bpr's don't run near as well as the regular br's.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
another update

Found my problem. I had my charge tube in reversed and it did not quite line up right. Turned it around and it is running great now. Was running 4.5 to 5.5 lbs and it ran great. Pretty tough directions to follow since there arent any. Didnt help we had some whiskey before we started. Fun to ride now.

Anyone got a method down for adjusting alt comp? do you do it in the parking lot or wait till you are up high.

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
mines on a cat,so don't hateme. i set ebc hp a 0 alt comp at o btn at o in parking lot. i have adj boost actuator set it a 5 lbs. rode oout of lot at 5 k up mtn 8500 pinned it recorded boost then just kept increasing alt comp by 10's till i got the boost at alt that i wanted . ended up at 38 on alt comp set it and forget haven't touched since. remember higher the number the more it adds or subtracts. from the parking lot going up use small icreases, from the top going down use larger numbers. hope this helps David

Premium Features