• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

starter rope broke recoil ?s

M
Dec 10, 2009
hey guys my pull rope broke today, its out of an 05 iqr w/ 03 ves 800. i took the cover off and oil pump but i couldnt pull the rope back out of the hole so i took the plastic recoil system out of the cover. i need help putting the recoil spring back into the cover and plastic disk. are there any tricks? i have gotten close by hand wrapping it on the plastic piece and trying to hook the outside of the spring into the cover but it just keeps popping out or the plastic piece wont sit all the way in. not the best explanation but any help would be much appreciated. thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You are experiencing one of the most frustrating repairs there is.

You have to wind the spring into the cover first. When it's all wound in there you can put the plastic wheel down in and it will catch the end of the spring and you can then spin it up to preload it.

Yea, that sounds really easy... it is not.

Good luck.

sled_guy

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Alot easier with a 3rd hand. Like said above, start by hooking the outside edge of the spring into the cover. Just keep working it around and around in circles until the center pops in. Not too bad with a 3rd hand, alot of fun alone :D

M
Dec 10, 2009
ok thanks guys. this thing is definetly not being nice. had to take off my boot lace in 3 feet of pow to clutch start it. i was trying to wind on the plastic piece but the cover makes much more sense. thanks for the help

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
I've done it by myself and it's a *****......Here's a tip an old time sled mechanic gave me:

Get a small piece of plywood and scribe a mark that is about the same as the diameter of the wound spring. Then put about 6 or 8 nails along that line. Wrap your spring so the nails contain the coil. When done, slide some thin wire under the spring in 4 places, wrap and cut to keep the spring from expanding. Then pull the spring out, put in the housing and remove the wire......

Never tried it, but will next time.......

M
Dec 10, 2009
just got it back together. i hooked the inside of the spring on the plastic wheel, hand wrapped the spring as tight as i could, pinched it with needle nose pliers, pulled it off the plastic and inserted it into the cover. this was actually not that bad. it was my first pull cord break and honestly im glad i did it because this is something you have to experience to know what a can of worms it is. lesson of the day: carry some rope to clutch start and drill a hole in the starter cover to visually inspect the belt drive inside!!!!!!!!! thanks for the help boys! ps if you drill the hole make sure you cover it with tape or something to keep water out

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I've done it by myself and it's a *****......Here's a tip an old time sled mechanic gave me:

Get a small piece of plywood and scribe a mark that is about the same as the diameter of the wound spring. Then put about 6 or 8 nails along that line. Wrap your spring so the nails contain the coil. When done, slide some thin wire under the spring in 4 places, wrap and cut to keep the spring from expanding. Then pull the spring out, put in the housing and remove the wire......

Never tried it, but will next time.......

I have never heard that one before but makes perfect sense and should work like a charm! I will remember that as well. I too have done them alone many times, just alot easier with one extra hand. To the op, glad to hear you got it even though you did it the hard way!

Premium Features