• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

removing throttle grip on 99 summit

D
Nov 11, 2009
hey guys got a 99 summit 670x and i am changing the throttle over to a set up used on earlier sleds for example my 97 583 summit has this set up .I need to know if there is any tricks in getting the grips off with out wrecking them.any help is greatly appreciated .PS love this sled ,its got jawz pipes ,extroverts and its been rejetted and yes i have pissed off the odd 800 rider.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Heat gun. Get it really hot, but not hot enough that you melt it. You want it as soft and pliable as possible. Then carefully try work it off....

However, this doesn't always work. Most factory grips that I have tried to take off that have had the factory grip-warmers underneath them usually get destroyed.... :(

S
Jan 10, 2010
IL?WI Border
To get the grips off warm them up with a heat gun as earlier stated, but cover the wire hole in the bars and the hole on the oppisite end grip and blow compressed air in the grip you are removing. having a buddy hold the opposite grip and covering the holes for you helps. Also i just tried this if you are trying to slide the factory throttle over the grip heaters, mine did not fit, ended up replacing grip warmers anyways.

D
Nov 11, 2009
throttle grips

thanks guys .appreciate the tips i am doing this for my wifes sled as well ,its a 98 670x and she will reeeeally like the change .:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features