• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 525/530 vs. WR/YZ 450F

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
K so I'm a lllooonnnggg time team blue guy. Love my WR and have all the mods short of big bore (thinking about that real hard right now) done already. I have a 2moto kit and have been riding that a couple years now. All in all, I love it. Great in the summer, total blast in the winter.

thing is, I have found several times when the bike seems like more power could make it better. I know, I know, you can never have too much power. if I had unlimited funds that might be the case but thats not my situation.

Lots of guys I ride with in the summer and race a desert race or 2 with have gone to KTM. they are VERY happy with them. great bikes in the woods / mtns during the summer too. Only thing i've read or heard is they run hot and sometimes puke a little antifreeze... even with the add on fan.

so the question for the guys who have actual knowledge... is the KTM big bike NOTICABLY faster/stronger than the WR450? I don't anything stock so assume normal mods (intake, exhaust, suspension, jetting...) done to both bikes. I don't want the Husaburgs weight during the summer so thats out... and because its drive chain is on the wrong side, big money to buy the fit kit for the 2moto(if you can??).

Seems the ADV guys are split on this for summer fun. Not sure anyone has really addressed it for the winter side of things.

thoughts?

H

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
1. you can buy a kit for a 650 burg for the same price that you can buy a kit for your yamaha.

2. The KTM big bore is a better way to go for everything but supercross racing.
More power when you need it. Plenty smooth when the trail is rough.

I have a KTM 525 with a 2 moto kit and a KTM 530/built to a 610 with a 2 moto kit. On the snow they are much better than a 450.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
good answer

thanks for the feedback. I already have a 2moto kit so... thats why i don't want to buy another. my current kit fits my WR and its not too much money to buy the fit kit for othe bikes (most of them) that have the chain on the left side.

So your 610 is probably what I've heard about. i gotta couple questions about it... how much did the BB upgrade cost? Is the power "good power" or just more power? what I mean is the power brutal and untractable or smooth if you want to pick thru technical sections in the summer. also, can you tell the difference in the bikes with the 2moto?

Kinda think i'm headed to KTM but they are kinda spendy and i don't like machines that are finicky. Love that i can flog this WR and never even check the valves. change the oil, do the filters and normal stuff but mostly just ride the crap out of it and it always runs perfect.

thanks,

love to hear from other bike owners too. anothe solution I've thought about is getting the Berg or Husky for snow and then riding it on the street in the summer... keep the WR for the off road stuff.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Im not quite sure why you would think the KTm is finicky..
The 525 and 530 are a completely different bike. I have a 06 525 that has been raced in at least 10 24hr races, numerous other off road events and two years on a 2moto. It has been the most reliable bike I have ever had.. very few valve adjustments and the motor has never been apart.I pretty much ride it all over without ever messing with jetting and such..
The 530 is a different motor that hits a bit harder.. better ergos and in my opinion a better bike.. either way you cant go wrong..
both will still leave you wanting more HP on the snowbike...

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
good insight

cool insight offroad. thats the kind of stuff I'm looking to hear about. the "finicky" thing isn't meant as a dig but a way to describe some of the stuff i've read or heard from people about the KTM. like sleds, every bike has its strong points as well as its quirks. i haven't owned a car, truck, bike, sled or other toys that didn't have a "thing" i wish i could tweak a bit. i guess thats the nature of power sports.

the one thing i do know is KTM is spendy. to that end, i want to make sure if i put down the cash i get something worth the difference... pretty simple desire i think. so i'm looking to learn as much as possible before i commit. in the end, i'll also try to get some seat time on a KTM to show me the "feel" of the bike. we all know 2 bikes can weigh the same but feel different based on where they carry the weight and how they deliver power.

thanks for the help. had a crazy thought yesterday as i was coming off the mtn talking to a sled buddy. maybe go to YZ instead of WR (tons around so price is really good on these here) and just putting one of you lights in my pak if i need to have light at the end of the day...

see ya, H

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I think it really is what your comfortable with.. The yz certainly is no slouch in fact has a harder hit than both the big KTMs.. I really like the smooth power delivery of the 525. A recluse makes a snowbike a lot easier to deal with in the powder.. But I have to have an e start on a snow bike...

C
Dec 10, 2009
N/A
I have a good amount of time on a WR450 and half a days worth riding on a KTM 530. My first question is what year of WR do you have, aluminum frame?? The WR I have ridden was an 07, had a DRD full exhaust and GYRT emission by-pass, I honestly don't think it gave up much in the power department compared to the KTM. To me there was definitely not enough difference to justify completely changing bikes. Just my opinion though.

Don't want to go off a huge tangent but if you are really considering a new bike because you want more power I would be looking for an FI CRF or KX-F. I rode the KTM 530 back to back with my CRF and there was a substantial difference in power and throttle response. I have extensive time on carbureted and FI bikes, and the FI is a huge advantage in the snow. They run perfect all the time, never have to worry about freezing vent lines, and they start very easy. Just my experience take it for what its worth.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
keep it coming

thanks for the the good info CRAW. my WR is an 04 (non AL frame) and has pretty much every option other than big bore already done. that includes motor and suspension. this thing rips in the dirt for what it is... obviously, a full race bike on a track is faster but for me, the kickstand, e-start and lights are important. I don't race for a living so I'm after balance... maybe a couple races for fun each year and a bunch of high speed desert and mtn single track (ISDE Idaho City style) plus as much time with my kids (now12 & 14) as we can do in a summer.

I have looked at the FI bikes but the only real advantage I've really come up with would be the turbo option. my carb version has given me absolutely no problems in the last couple years in the snow so... no advantage there. the turbo thing is VERY expensive. at least $4000 on top of the bike! that make the ride something like $14,000 when done. (bike $6000 if you find a good deal, more if not. Turbo at $4000 . and the new 2moto set up $4200 (or fit kit to swap mine over still around $600 probably and it has 3 years on it). so that is wwwwaaaaayyyyy more money than i want to (or can afford to) spend on this hobby.

If I got what you're saying, the KTM is not really a lot different than the WR if set up well. that may save me some money. thanks.

Hauler

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I would agree with Crawfish.. you wont see that big of a diff on the snowbike between your wr and a 525/530. I ride with a buddy that has an 09zuk 450 fi.
for some reason his is a PITA to start, probably needs a remap..
I would say stay with your wr for $$ reasons..You could alwys throw in a yzcam and do a few other things.. If you do get another bike The KTm would be a good choice, as you can plate it for the summer, has lights stock and the magic button....

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
one more thought

damn as i review this post we get the normal distrobution of opinions. hahaha so now I'm going to have to find a couple KTM to ride and compare them to my WR. Anybody in the boise area or coming this way, let me know and I'll show you around our mtns from Mccall to the trinities... if you let me swap you bikes for a couple minutes.

I guess another option is to upgrade to the new WR. Part of my bolt ons will fit so that saves me some money. It is slimmer, lighter and has good after market support. They also seems pretty reasonably priced.

Hey on another note: have any of you started to look at mods to the 2moto kit? I talked to the owner of Craiger built (sp?) last year for about an hour in the mtns around Preston. He has some thoughts and I shared some that I have kicked around a bit. I know these guys have years in the design and R&D but so do all the major sled companies... and yet we mod them. ;)

so lets hear it. what have you thought of? in my mind nothing is too far out when brain storming... I'll start with = some sort of lower faring or belly type pan. something that gives the bike lift like a belly pan does and reduces the drag of engine, pegs and my feet. it needs to not hurt the track's ablility to pull and it shouldn't add much weight. it could used skid plate mount point and may require some lightweight braces... lower rad mounts? whats your thoughts? where is the problem with this? what other things should it do?

other ideas: smaller (stab type wheels) in the front of the track carriage. this is one that Craig put out. I think he said it reduces power robbing...hope i got that right but its been a year since the conversation.

what about gear carring options. PMB is VERY proud of their rear rack! I mean holy crap it's not made of gold, its aluminum. I'd be happy to bolt it together and skip the cost of billet... so it weight 3 ounces more. who cares?! I'll skip a cheesburger and say myself a buck and heart attack. :D

whacha got?

H

C
Dec 10, 2009
N/A
Sledhauler, I going to school in Rexburg right now but I'm from Twin Falls. I think over the presidents day weekend a good group of us are going to Pine to ride. No KTM's in our group but would be more than happy to let you try out my 09 CRF.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
thanks

Hey Craw thanks for the offer. Are you talking about Pine up near Cascade? if so, maybe we'll have a chance to ride together. PM me if you head toward the boise area.

H

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
why not come to Hawkfest the weekend of the 14th Logan UT
there should be plenty of bike kits there..and a guaranteed good time with other single ski riders..

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
good idea

that sounds like fun. I'll check my calendar and see if I can head down. Have family in Ut so its a good excuse to see them also... just hope I have a hole in the work calendar.

H

Hey Craw thanks for the offer. Are you talking about Pine up near Cascade? if so, maybe we'll have a chance to ride together. PM me if you head toward the boise area.

H

If you come up to the races in Bonners, you can try out my EFI RMZ. After having EFI, I would never own a carb snowbike.

Not only does it start easy but it doesn't leak gas when it's upside down, or on its side (which mine is several times a day). It runs perfect at the parking lot and the top of the hill, or you can put the wheels on and hit the dunes the next day and it'll run perfect there too.

C
Dec 10, 2009
N/A
Hauler for sure I will PM you if we end up going to Pine (actually featherville to be more specific) I think its only 80 miles or so from Boise.

So Teal are you going to be at the race in Bonners Ferry for sure, I want to go so bad but I just don't think its in my budget. I can afford one race and decided I'm going to hit up Tahoe. But who knows maybe I will be up there.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
howell canyon?

Hey CRAW do you ride over near the ski hill (magic?) or howell (sp?) canyon? We went there a couple years ago. met my bro there cause he is in SLC and we're in boise. had a good time and they always seem to max out the sno-meter on snotel... I go to poky (or burley) all the time to pick up or drop off my kids. maybe we could link up in your area sometime.

I don't know if I'm going to make it to hawkfest... isn't that the weekend of valentines day? did i get that right? does that mean everybody that rides a single ski is loveless??!! hahahaha funny thing is one of my sleddin' buds (MOCO) asked if I want to go to bear lake for a few days at that same time... should I be nervous about that?

so far this year i have used the sled to drag his broke azz of the hill 2x so 2morrow i'm heading out on the bike w/o him. have to at least put a little snow under the track this year.

H

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I don't know if I'm going to make it to hawkfest... isn't that the weekend of valentines day? did i get that right? does that mean everybody that rides a single ski is loveless??!! hahahaha funny thing is one of my sleddin' buds (MOCO) asked if I want to go to bear lake for a few days at that same time... should I be nervous about that?

H

Yes it is.. same as last year.. Im not sure why it would be scedualed that way.. doesn't make alot of sense and surly reduces some participation.
But, you have to train them right.. in my opinion its just another day manufactured by Halmark, you can treat her special any day..I "trained" mine right 20 years ago.You know shes a keeper when you can go riding on a day like that.
But you know that Training goes both ways..
I hope you and other can show.. last year was a blast and this year looks to be even better.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
trained huh? ya right

come on man you really think you have HER trained???!!! hahahaha she has eatin out of her hand and you think its cause you want to. :face-icon-small-hap J/k.

a bunch of years ago when we first got together i told her i boycott the whole idea of valentines day. told her if the rest of the year doesn't show her how i feel, why should 1 day and a ton of money make up for it... i really hated the idea that like xmas it was up to you to decide how good a boyfriend (husband) you want to be by how much you spend! really chapped my azz, so I quit valentines and set spending limits on x-mas for everyone in the family. just tryin' to get back to the "spirit" of the events... so I thought.

this girl!!! she goes and buys ME stuff for valentines day. first year was a new set of moto gear. next year, a new laptop. then a pair of alpinstars... this year we got married and she wants to buy me anything i want for the sled/bike/truck I want. I was leaning toward the RKT drop in but can't decide if I'm gonna go 2moto pure or not.

when i told her about the fest being on the Vday, she said it ok if you want to go. we have the rest of the year to show each other special attention. gotta love that... so because she really means it, I'm not going to take advantage of the offer. i'm gonna stay here and maybe take her riding.

you guys have fun without me and take lots of pix. maybe we'll make it to next year's fest.

hauler

Premium Features