• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1st ride/ Aaen Nytro muffler...way LOUD!

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
This thing is shipped with the removable quiet core already installed. I went against my instincts, left the core in the muffler, and I'm glad I did. Not sure about actual db increases vs stock from idle to w.o.t, but now it sounds super tuff,... almost too rowdy. I'm sure the forest circus noise police will LOVE it! Aaen claims another 1.5 horse by removing the core, but the extra +4db wont be worth the hassel.

YamTodd

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane, Wa
i have one on and it is not any louder than a slp single on 700 dragon or the edge 800 with slp single that i ride with. It sounds great and makes the sled run great.

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
i have one on and it is not any louder than a slp single on 700 dragon or the edge 800 with slp single that i ride with. It sounds great and makes the sled run great.

I'm not knocking the performance aspect of the product. The weight loss and power gain are undisputeable benefits offered by this pipe, although sometimes loud pipes just give the illusion of added power through increased noise. My concern is that this muffler will never get any quieter, and with new noise regs. coming into effect next year, it could be an issue.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
I'm not knocking the performance aspect of the product. The weight loss and power gain are undisputeable benefits offered by this pipe, although sometimes loud pipes just give the illusion of added power through increased noise. My concern is that this muffler will never get any quieter, and with new noise regs. coming into effect next year, it could be an issue.

I get what your saying. Just like adding stickers makes your sled fast right???

I do believe the aaen exhaust does add power. When I put the aaen on my sled I had to add weight to the clutch because it was over revving. Gained about 500rpms from the stock exhaust.

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
I also saw an increase in rpm, approx.300 or so, but I was about 500 rpm off the mark to start with. Hoping that dropping a tooth on top gear, and stiffer secondary spring will gain the rest.

T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
shoot most of the time when i buy a can its to make it loud and aaen does a great job at this and it adds hp... might have to look into one of those

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
there is very minimal power increase with any of the nytro aftermarket mufflers. (less than 1 hp) most hp claims are inflated. you are just adding noise which is not helping our sport. Of course the weight loss is nice but is it really worth it? If you want a real power increase you have to replace the header with an excell or something similar.

Last edited:

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
"there is very minimal power increase with any of the nytro aftermarket mufflers. (less than 1 hp) most hp claims are inflated"

like Barkers claimed @ 12hp and 10# or 10hp and 12#?
looks like the dyno showed @ 4hp with increased RPM

YamTodd

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane, Wa
there is very minimal power increase with any of the nytro aftermarket mufflers. (less than 1 hp) most hp claims are inflated. you are just adding noise which is not helping our sport. Of course the weight loss is nice but is it really worth it? If you want a real power increase you have to replace the header with an excell or something similar.

When you gain 500 rpm you are making more HP

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
In most cases you are lucky to get 2-4 Hp out of any exhaust mods on Yamaha's period - more often than not you will loose drivability and in some cases loose horsepower just to gain noise.

I just went trough tuning a exhaust on my Apex and actually lost HP with a wide open silencer, once I reduced the outlet I was able to gain about 200 RPM. This is a flow-charged engine from the air-box to the exhaust outlet.
Unless you want to mess with way more than a muffler and redo 100s of hours of RND that Yamaha did -- a couple horses is all you get.

There are way more gains to be had with good clutching for a specific application.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
In most cases you are lucky to get 2-4 Hp out of any exhaust mods on Yamaha's period - more often than not you will loose drivability and in some cases loose horsepower just to gain noise.

I just went trough tuning a exhaust on my Apex and actually lost HP with a wide open silencer, once I reduced the outlet I was able to gain about 200 RPM. This is a flow-charged engine from the air-box to the exhaust outlet.
Unless you want to mess with way more than a muffler and redo 100s of hours of RND that Yamaha did -- a couple horses is all you get.

There are way more gains to be had with good clutching for a specific application.

agreed. spend your money on clutching! People think the sled is making a lot more power because the sled is louder but they are really not. I have also been through the under tunnell exhaust experiment on my nytro....ended up taking it all off and going back to stock. my ears are much happier too.

Last edited:
Premium Features