• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

153 challenger on my Nytro? Advice please

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
After a very frustrating ride in the mountains having to follow the tracks of an M7 and an M8 I decided I really need to chuck this Maverick junker. After riding for an hour or so my lugs were so curled they were almost laying parallel with the rails!

I was only at about 6000ft and running in 6ft of snow (3ft base, 3 ft fresh pow) and it was so bad that i had problems keeping momentum up minor inclines and even modest hills were impossible unless one of the M sleds broke a trail for me. I had tons of power but none of it seemed to transfer when I hit the deep stuff.

So my question is. Would changing my track to a challenger and getting more power to the snow give me a significant performance boost in the deep stuff? Can I get enough floatation out of a 153 challenger on a stock nytro to keep myself up on top of the powder?

J

jpower6

Sep 14, 2009

I had the same problem with the pos maverick.. So I did multiple things before this season.. First was the track which was from tracksusa which was the 153 cat challenger extreme which works amazingly well! But I am unboosted, otherwise I woulda gone for the real challenger extreme for the extra power.. But the other things I did were the timbersled rear and dropped a tooth off the upper gear... And with these 3 things, my sled works great in the pow and the hills! I rode with a slightly modded 09 m8 and a stock dragon 8 and I was doing just as well on the fresh hills as them! Honest to god... I was amazed!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I also put a challenger 153 on my nytro this year with a KMOD skid and the 19 top tooth. It made a huge difference. The new track and the 19 top tooth hook up very well. Every time I mash the gas the skis come up, every time. It climbs better and floats better but it is still a 600. That is the thing I forget the most. Your not gonna be able to hang with the 800 2smokes, you will get close and these changes will get you closer. But the track sawp is a huge improvement.:beer;

A

akhammer

Nov 26, 2007
anchorage, AK/ SLC Utah
I got a 153 challenger with a timbersled rear and it's a night and day difference. Your Nytro may not be able to put the highmark on the hill, but you should be right there with the 800's.

YamTodd

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane, Wa
i put on a 153 challenger and love it and it is not the same sled with the new track. Also put on Aaen pipe and help out with the power 6 hp 7lbs. of and sound great.
You will not beat the 800's but you will be able to hang with them.

S

Swelly

I elected to put the Challenger Extreme on mine. Tracks USA had a super deal on the cat one, but opted for the harder one. Do not regret it. Dropped a gear and changed some rivets in the primary and what a difference. Hoping to be able to timbersled in the near future.

J

jpower6

Sep 14, 2009
Oh mine was also clutched by hartman which really helped.. But also when I did the 3 upgrades i told about above(track, gear, tsrear) I also did the mpi nytro exhaust and skinz seat... And skinz float plate, fox floats up front with the zbroz arms! So I also dropped around 60 or 70 pounds total I think...

J

jpower6

Sep 14, 2009
But anyways I KNOW the track made a huge difference and that one from tracks USA is way cheap and is still in perfect condition for me.. Seems like a great track so far!

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
I went with the Cat 153 challenger, Timbersled, 19T top gear, and Hartman clutching. At the end of the day I was disappointed in the cat track, I think it is too soft. The lugs always folded over more then what I expected. Next year I will be running the 156x2.5 CE or 153x2.25 PC.

I had same experiece with the pos stock track. Installed TS 162 rear and CE 2.5 track. less weight, more floatation and amazing traction...best thing EVER..only downside is that it drives down the hard packed trail like a 4X4 wth big mudders.

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
Decided on a Power Claw

Well after endless reading and back and forth over a track decision I ordered a 153 Powerclaw. It weighs a few pounds less than the Challenger and I have heard countless people say the PC gets through where the Challenger gets stuck. Also yamahaboy701's comments about the challenger folding over after my experiences with a maverick made me wary of the Challenger. I know any track is better than the Mav though!

It should be here this coming tuesday and I cant wait to put it on and hit the mountains.

On a side note, a lot of people are talking about dropping a tooth on their top gear. What is the consensus on the improvement of dropping one tooth? Minimal at best or noticeable?

Thanks for the help guys, you all made my decision much easier.

Last edited:
S
Mar 26, 2009
Puyallup, WA
I think the debate of PC or CE will go forever. I hear the PC is exelent for sidehilling. I chose the CE because of so many reports of the PC tearing. I think both are probably good, like everything else in this sport, it all comes down to your own preference.

As far as the gear, It is noticible. Not extreme but noticible. And for only $35, its hard to argue against it. I'm a 260lb rider so I can use all the help I can get. If I' not mistaken, the 2010 162's come stock with an 18T.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Well after endless reading and back and forth over a track decision I ordered a 153 Powerclaw. It weighs a few pounds less than the Challenger and I have heard countless people say the PC gets through where the Challenger gets stuck. Also yamahaboy701's comments about the challenger folding over after my experiences with a maverick made me wary of the Challenger. I know any track is better than the Mav though!

It should be here this coming tuesday and I cant wait to put it on and hit the mountains.

On a side note, a lot of people are talking about dropping a tooth on their top gear. What is the consensus on the improvement of dropping one tooth? Minimal at best or noticeable?

Thanks for the help guys, you all made my decision much easier.

I never seek concensus... :) However, the vast majority have dropped one tooth on top...

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
I never seek concensus... :) However, the vast majority have dropped one tooth on top...

Concensus? Isn't that when they count the number of inmates in a prison :)

The 18T top gear works really well on the new 162" SE and the 19T should be used on the 153" for high elevation deep powder riding. Just a word of advice, I would put an anti-stab kit on with the single ply PC.

:beer;

scmurs

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
anti stab kit? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar.

PC030095.jpg

To keep the rail tips from stabbing the windows in the track.

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
Concensus? Isn't that when they count the number of inmates in a prison :)

The 18T top gear works really well on the new 162" SE and the 19T should be used on the 153" for high elevation deep powder riding. Just a word of advice, I would put an anti-stab kit on with the single ply PC.

:beer;

scmurs

Alright, so when guys put Mountain Tamer suspensions and their approach angle changes I can see why an anti stab kit would be a good thing since your rails are pointing at the windows much more straight on.

What specifically about a powerclaw would make you think I should put an anti stab kit on? I'm not arguing against it, I guess I want to know how long I can get away without it. I am planning on putting the track on this weekend and I really want to get it out on the snow and test the new track out, but on the other hand I don't want to stab my new track either. I am running a stock skid right now if that changes anything.

The other thing I noticed is that the PC is not fully clipped. My guess is the best thing to do is get an anti stab and run it loose instead of clipping it the rest of the way.

Premium Features