• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 xc 600 144 conversion

J
Nov 30, 2007
I'm looking to put a 136/144 under my wifes xc. what all is needed to do this kinda swap. i woud like to replace the complete rear suspension to avoid using extentions. Any one have a rear susp. or track let me know

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City

You will probably need a tunnel extension so it doesn't eat the flap. The tunnel coolers will prevent you from using more than a 1 1/4 track I believe, 1 1/2 at the most. You may also be able to find a set of 144 rails. That would be the least exspensive. Other wise a complete rear as you mention.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
I'm pretty sure there aren't any 144 rails that would work on a 121 xtra 10 skid. The 136 xtra 10 is a different design than the 121 xtra 10.

If you want to go with a taller track, you could just notch the paddles for the tunnel coolers (might need smaller drivers for clearance at the front of the tunnel).

Yes, IMO you should gear down significantly going from 121 to 144, especially with a taller track.

I found that an xtra lite RMK skid (00 - 01) matches up very nicely with the xtra 10 front suspension (I put a 144 xtra lite skid on my wife's XLT with xtra 10).

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
cooler

I did the same thing last summer, i removed the coolers and cut the top of the tunnel to install a factory one from the rmk's,have to do some plumming but well worth it.I have a 144x2 on mine with all the clearance in the world, got a extention off d-kirk and had to move the rear skid brackets back and insatlled some rmk rear skid brackets while i was doing it. I did a 19-40 gearing seems to pull it just fine...i did use ext. but also used the 4 wheel axle and cut down to make it a 2 wheel inside mount.can post some pics of my wifes sled if you want to see it....good luck and hope this helps

Also to change the rear susp. from 121 parts to 136 or longer rails some rebolting and some parts changed around so i would look for a complete skid if possible...

Last edited:
D
Dec 5, 2008
the largest lugs on a track without switching out your cog wheels is a 1 3/4in lug although you will have to notch it for the coolers. the most dependable way to stretch you xc will be to use a 136 skid out of an rmk which will ride much better than the 121 stretched out to the 144 or 136. if you decide to go witht he 144 it will be easy to extend the 136 in suspension just make sure if you put extenions in that you get tracks usa extensions not slp or hrp as i have expierienced them snaping off biggger jumps, they just don't hold up to strenuous riding.

just though i'd give you my .02 i have done 8 long track conversion sleds with different suspensions 5 of them being 98 xc 600's/700's. and to answer your gearing ? i would either gear it at 19/40 or 19/41 depending on what kind of riding that you are doing.

K
Feb 19, 2008
ESko, mn
I would go on SLP online and order yourself there long track conversion, I had one on my 98 xc with a 136"x2" notched track and it worked sweet, then you could just either pick up some longer rails or purchase a whole new suspension. It is very easy to do a long track on these sleds, I have done quite a few of them.
ken

Premium Features