• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber or HM

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
I have been looking into a turbo kit for my 2010 dragon 800 163

I like the price of the Silber kit, but I also like the simplicity of the HM kit.

I know either route I go I will have awesome customer service.

So, has anyone got to compare the two?

I am not looking to stir up sh*t, just want some real world opinions about the two kits(not companies).

I do lots of boondocking in tight trees, and some hillclimbing. Looking to run pump gas, and have as many pull the rope and ride days as possible.

Thanks Guys

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
silber kit doesnt have a cooler for the air or clutchin or vents or a silencer. Hot air is a killer in long term use of a engine. Ive rode with guys with similer setups and there loud. out the side dumps are loud. the tunnel dump is alot quieter but ive heard of tunnels breaking cuzz ya have to cut a huge hole in the foot well for the dump.

i just rode 2 HM kits last weekend and they were nice and quiet, there a pretty much bolt on kit that comes with everything you need to get up and running, clutchin, vents.... the works. great throttle response and power. I say HM

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I will start with saying i have not ridden either. I made my own kit using an attitude box. the first weekend on the snow couldnt get a hold of Derek and called Justin (sibler) and told him i did not buy his kit but used the same box as him. He spent probably 20 minutes on the phone with me going over everything, gave suggestions, and even called back a couple of weeks later to see how i was doing! To me that is super impressive. If i were to buy a kit i would choose sibler over hm for customer service, price, and use of the garrett.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
What a price difference! Perhaps it is not a apples to apples comparison, but for me I have to decide what I want out of it. I want my D8 up around 200 hp on pump gas, so I have to ask if $6400 is neccessary or if $3700 (Silber) would do it.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Keep in mind a new Aero is like 2k. As far as I know there's like one guy that fixes them. If you have a issue your looking at some serious down time and coin.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
Keep in mind a new Aero is like 2k. As far as I know there's like one guy that fixes them. If you have a issue your looking at some serious down time and coin.

pretty sure they have a new exchange program where you send in your busted one and they send you a rebuilt one and charge you the repair cost when yours gets fixed. that way your not down waiting in line for yours to get repaired.

from what ive heard Areo doesnt even say you need to change the oil in the turbo till like 5000 miles too.

mountaintop

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2008
Real experience with both justins (code red performance bd and justin silber) both great to work with. Silber kit doesn't have all the bells and whistles, with 2-3 k difference, to me it was obvious which one to buy. Put on some vents for cold air draw, make sure you are getting a good setup as far as #'s for the box to start with and you will be happy. Polaris fuel maps and constant "updates" are making it hard to get it right out of the box. Know that it will take some setting up to get er done the way you want it. We can get both kits running pretty well with minor fuel setup issues and then the new improved fix em all maps come out and then we start all over in the tuning experience. Good knowledgeable people that you are comfortable dealing with are extremely valuable in the turbo world i've found.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I went with a BD kit on my D8 163, not a rip on em but I had some issues, first it's my first one so I'm dumb that said they were late shipping everything so it went on , still is, next there was a problem w/ a broken wire inside the plug and play box so it threw codes all the time, next was a bugger, it would go 50 ft then fall down back fire and lose power. It took at least 10 calls to find out that a hose was installed in the wrong outlet ( from BD) but Scott really helped me the last few calls, remember I'm dumb to this ( was dumb) I would do it again but hope to find a closer company ( sled rips now)

S
Nov 3, 2008
That is what the intercooler is for. Not only are you getting charge temps of 42 degrees, therefore giving you 'extra hp" you are putting less stress on the engine because of those lower intake temps. I know my kit has run for two seasons, the motor was torn down and the pistons/cylinders looked great!

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
That is what the intercooler is for. Not only are you getting charge temps of 42 degrees, therefore giving you 'extra hp" you are putting less stress on the engine because of those lower intake temps. I know my kit has run for two seasons, the motor was torn down and the pistons/cylinders looked great!

are you the guy Curt was talkin about with over 3000 miles on his turbo kit with not one issue?

what spud said! cold air is alot less harmful than hot air when it comes to long life of a engine. this hm cooler takes 100 to 150 degrees out of your charge air temp. the sibler doesnt have a cooler so your gettin very very hot air pumped into your engine.

I am going to gladly pay the extra money for the HM kit for the fact that im pretty sure this kit will run for many years with little to no issues.

do the research. look at how many people have issues with these auto turbos. sure they run good ONCE THEY GET THEM FIGURED OUT.

B

bighole1818

Dec 18, 2009
Big Hole valley, MT
The price difference is big, but you also have to consider what your getting with the kit. Water to air inter-cooler (150 degree drop in charge temp), including in-tunnel heat exchanger, clutching kit with custom ground Team helix, A/F gauge with gauge mount, self contained AeroCharger variable vein turbo, cold air intake (uses stock intake location), throttle body boot retainer (stops delamination), throttle body retainer brackets, pre-jigged pipe and quiet muffler, modified y-pipe with extra spring retainers, custom turbo reeds, boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, and a 15 page tuning guide. Thats just what Silber doesnt have, and it's all included in the price of the kit. This makes for a no cut/weld install and ez-as-pie tuning. HM is the way to go IMO.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
The price difference is big, but you also have to consider what your getting with the kit. Water to air inter-cooler (150 degree drop in charge temp), including in-tunnel heat exchanger, clutching kit with custom ground Team helix, A/F gauge with gauge mount, self contained AeroCharger variable vein turbo, cold air intake (uses stock intake location), throttle body boot retainer (stops delamination), throttle body retainer brackets, pre-jigged pipe and quiet muffler, modified y-pipe with extra spring retainers, custom turbo reeds, boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, and a 15 page tuning guide. Thats just what Silber doesnt have, and it's all included in the price of the kit. This makes for a no cut/weld install and ez-as-pie tuning. HM is the way to go IMO.

Here is what is included in my kit. Mine does have alot of good features also.

Garrett Turbo Charger
Oil Tank
Airbox
Charge Tube
Downpipe, tunnel dump or belly dump
Jigged Pipe to turbo stinger flange
Boost senstive fuel pressure regulator, with quick connect lines
Boost controller
Boost gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Bracket for handle bars to mount them
Attitude Fuel Controller
Throttle body boot support
All bolts springs and clamps
Installion instruction
All this for $3200

Than here are the accessories and the prices
Clutch kit (with custom cut helix, springs and weights) $225
Wideband o2 sensor gauge $200

We dont offer vents with the kit as there are soo many out there, that if we did choose one brand the customer would want a different one, so its up to you on that.

So for 3625, plus shipping you get a great kit and support.

Thanks
Justin Silbernagel

F
Mar 6, 2008
ND
Price for price

Think about this SKISUCCA, $6400 vs. $3600. Providing both kits are complete, for alittle more cash you could buy a Silber kit for your sled and one for a buddy! Haha ;) Sure Silby would put a nice price together for two.:D

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Once again, I'm definetely not ripping on HM. It looks like they have it together.

But...$6400 vs $3600. That's enough difference to have a Silber turbo, Timbersled rear and Fox Floats! If you need to build a wicked 300HP sled, maybe it makes sense to have the HM kit. But 200 HP pump gas sounds like pure bliss to me.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Garrett makes a great turbo for the 2-stroke application so my vote goes for the Silber kit. There have been a few turbo builders that just offered areochargers with there kits and now carry garrett.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
you could buy the sibler kit for 3700 and the aftermarket hm intercooler for 1000...still much less than the hm.

that would be the best of both worlds!

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
so what did you think of the HM kit?..I have 2 friends I ride with that have them(both from curt at fastrax's) havent gotten to ride with either of them yet..one had some issues the first time out with the motor and the other was built at fastrax and is on its way up here now...I am leaning toward curts kit though......

I rode Jons 700, thats the one on its way to AK. that thing is gonna KILL everything up there. very good runnin sled. that 174 on there is gonna take him to places he shouldnt be...lol

Silber. thats a pretty good list of parts to get for the price. I didnt realize ya got so much stuff with it. seems like a good deal!

Curt at Fastrax built my last chassis and did a fastastic job, and now that ive rode his dragon I think thats the next sled im gonna build. I would recomend doin the full zbros front end and fastrax drop and roll. probably at least straight rails too if not a complete aftermarket rear skit as well. any turbo is gonna make this sled handle way different.

Premium Features