• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid Plate Options for the Nytro

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I have ran the Yamaha "Ultra Plate" for a season now and have issues with it.
I had so much ice between the skid plate and subframe/bellypan that it pulled a bolt right through the front plastic. Luckly I had used a different mounting setup for the bolts underneath, or I'm sure they'd be broke/gone like I've read others mention.

So, what other options are there?

I'm not too keen on the Float plate, looks like a big shovel scoop, and may have the same results?

Is there a different skid plate design available? Aftermarket options?

Or should I just buy another 80$ ultra plate and try to reinforce (fender washers?) the front bolt holes through the plastic?

SSE

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
MN
Scroll down a little over 5 threads from this thread and look at "belly pan" by "shermanator". Go to the last couple of replys and your prayrs will be answered!

08nytromtxa

Dec 17, 2007
tisdale saskatchewan
skid plate

where it sags down i drilled some holes in the skid plate between where the a-arms go and put a u-bolt on either side and my problem was solved.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
where it sags down i drilled some holes in the skid plate between where the a-arms go and put a u-bolt on either side and my problem was solved.

i was just lookin at that and considering something similar...strapping around the sub frame, right?

just to help relieve stress from the bolts if nothing else.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I was literally writing a review on the new Roest Racing SkidPlate when you posted this. It is a new thread.

Aaron

S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
I'm going to cut some styrofoam to fit up tight under the subframe between it and the skid plate so it comes up it to the holes and spaces at the a arms should keep any snow and moisture out. Drill holles in each lower ridge at the back so when it does melt anything in there it will drain. Adding the ubolts or similar sounds good as well. Does any MFG test this garbage before they sell it.

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Before I installed my Yamaha skid plate, I replaced the cheap aluminum threaded inserts with some stronger ones I bought at Princess Auto. I used 1/4" flat headed hex bolts from Home Depot that look similar to what IKEA uses on their furnature. I drilled three 3/8" holes in the back of the skid plate on the low points to let the water drain. I can see that some ice does build up between the subframe and skid plate and it does distort a bit, but I have never had a problem with threaded inserts pulling out or bolts pulling through the plastic. I think the Yamaha skid plate is pretty strong and fits well.

S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
You said it, fit decent, thick enough but for 120.00 it could have came with insert you didn't have to pick up at princess auto and a filler of some kind to keep the ice out. my 2 cents. Better yet on the sled from the factory. Just needed somthing to whine about today I guess.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Centennial CO
i was just lookin at that and considering something similar...strapping around the sub frame, right?

just to help relieve stress from the bolts if nothing else.

I've seen some guys cut slits in the skid plate and use hose clamps around the sub frame tubing, they say it works well... Or just leave it off.. ;)

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Replace the aluminum nutserts with 1/4-20 steel nutserts and then you can cinch that sucker down tight. I've never had issues with mine.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Replace the aluminum nutserts with 1/4-20 steel nutserts and then you can cinch that sucker down tight. I've never had issues with mine.

U Nuts are the fastener to use on the back 4 fastening points. They are better than steel nutserts for a couple of reasons. First they are self aligning, second they are easy to replace if you have to, they will never spin in or enlarge the hole, and they are just as strong. They are what we are using in my new skidplate.

Skidplate Blk.jpg Proto 6H.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have placed a special order for one of these plates.
Mine won't be here for a few weeks.
But when it arrives, I will report back on what I get.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Premium Features