• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TM8 Vs. Dragon Turbo

I

ikold

Dec 2, 2007
Am going to bite the bullet and get myself a turbo sled. I do mostly in the trees boondocking in co, wy, ut. Generally 9k ft and up to about 13k.

How are the Dragon turbos holding up relative to the Arctic Cat's ? Kind of a loaded questions I suppose to ask in the Polaris forum.

I have an 06 Polaris 900 that I have been really happy with but its kind of a pig.

How is the longevity of these sleds?

Thanks

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I've seen both run and last very well. But riding in those areas the a 09-2010 pgm8 will do as much or more than a td8. The track is a big deal, the d8 is a trencher compared to the M8, I know a guy that put a PC track under his Trmk800 but havent heard how its doing. The M8 is also lighter and looses weight faster. But I have heard the same track speed out of both with about the same boost. I like the way both ride, but the m8 is a little more predictable. The d8 skis are 10x better. the trail ride on a m8 sucks.
Really it comes down to how much you spend, they can be made equal.
But if your happy with your 900 you'll be happy with anything.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I've been on both. I do have more time on the Dragon, but they both work extremely well. We put a Power Claw on the Dragon and it flat out works. I really think that both sleds are similar in feel. I like the M sled better on a sidehill and the Dragon trenches a bit more on a climb. They are both great boondocking sleds.

Good luck.

S

snofoshow

Feb 16, 2009
I have owned both. Have a buddy who rides a M8 pump gas and it rips. Not sure if its any better than mine but I would go with which one has the better deal. Seems like a Polaris holds their value a little better though. My two cents

J
Dec 18, 2009
Salt lake City
It all comes down to what you like. If you ride in Utah you will want a long track as you probably already know. I ride a 08 polaris 700 163 turbo in utah on ten pounds of boost it gets me everywhere I shouldn't be.:D You should Turbo your 900 they make awsome power you could put the 900 on a diet and turbo it and have a bad *** sled. Derek from attitude has for sales a kit for the 900's that will out run the 800's. I also have a 05 900 if i had a 06 i would of turboed it.

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i put 3300 trouble free miles on mine last year... have had a few speed bumps this year but seem to have everything figured out again. had quite a few guys in our area switch from m8 turbos to D8 turbos this year

PGTDragon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2009
Lakewood Co.
Both sleds will hold up just fine with a turbo, HP will be about the same. It is just a matter of which chassis you like best. The Dragon handles better, turns quicker etc, but the M is very stable and predictable, both are very easy to ride. I did not care for the Polaris rear suspension or WE shocks, so they were changed (pick your aftermarket preference), this being said I have more into the Dragon than an M8 would cost, but I am happier with the handling and ride of the IQ chassis . In the end you can not go wrong with either choice, build the one you like riding the most and can get the best dealer support for, and have fun. I have also never had any problem with the 5.1 track on the Poo, in the snow we have in Co and Wy, the track does very well, I understand that it has issues in wet, concrete snow but I have had nothing but good results in our powder.

Last edited:
T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Both are really good and it comes down to preference. Weak pt in the dragon is the track and skid as has been mentioned. I do think the cat will make more power as the kits have been out many years longer and at 16lbs a M8 is really strong but both are great. The Po is sure easy to work on and fun to ride but I think the Cat will go higher and faster especially in deep snow. Use M8s for 9k or under are a screaming deal

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
what ever you can get the best deal on they bloth rune real nice. pol fuel mapping is a lil hard to figure out tho

Premium Features