• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 Indy 500 Repair... Am I getting Screwed?

F
Jan 13, 2010
Hi Folks,

I've got a MINT looking 1998 3800 mile Liquid Cooled Indy. Last season she didn't want to start after a ride. I never got around to looking into it. I figured carbs needed work. This year, by chance she started right up on second pull after new plugs but high idle and LOTS of smoke. Sounded like both cylinders were firing even and they both warmed up nicely.

I brought it into a small engine repair shop to have carbs done and to look into speedo bearing because the speedometer quit. Next thing i know he's telling me (without compression test or investigation) I could have an oil problem that is "common" on my sled and in order to change the speedo bearing and the oil problem, the engine has to come out and basically be rebuilt for $1000 us.

So, really? I thought changing the speedo bearing was easy. Also, I thought the oil problem was on the 550 fan cooled machines. He said its the same block, different bore and the problems affect 500 liquid cooled too. Is he wrong? What are your experiences?

Thanks for your help guys.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
No knowledge on "oil" issues. I have 2 liquid Indy 500's and no problems with them.

Speedo bearing is not "easy" as in easy to get to. If a shop is doing it think about his hourly rate to do this. It is not technically difficult.

Remove driven clutch, remove speedo cable and housing, Remove rear suspension, remove chaincase cover (remove exhaust to get to it) remove drive shaft, remove possibly siezed bearing from shaft, clean up shaft, buy new bearing, re-install track and shaft, chaincase cover, new oil, install exhaust, grease bearing.

Probably a 2 hour book job + supplies + $200

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
A sheared speedo key is an indication that there's a good chance that the drive shaft bearing COULD be bad, but it doesn't automatically mean that it IS bad. You have to check the bearing and see if there is any play in it. I had a sheared speedo key and the bearing was still good as new. Never had a problem with the new key after replacing it. I was told that it's not that uncommon for moisture to get into the 90° gear mechanism that drives the speedo cable and freeze causing the key to shear.

I don't understand the connections between a drive shaft bearing and an "oil problem". I am curious how he determined that it "could have an oil problem".

This small engine repair shop sounds like a glorified lawn mower shop that has very little experience with sleds, doing 'guess work' diagnostics based on hearsay.

B
Nov 15, 2009
Gunnison Co.
I think its the speedo key to I've never really seen one that wasn't on a older sled like that. What I do is take it out put in trash with spedo cable and spedo. Then put silk screen over spedo hole. Now your lighter and it's a free cheesy mod. Tach is all that matters IMO

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
Hi Folks,

I've got a MINT looking 1998 3800 mile Liquid Cooled Indy. Last season she didn't want to start after a ride. I never got around to looking into it. I figured carbs needed work. This year, by chance she started right up on second pull after new plugs but high idle and LOTS of smoke. Sounded like both cylinders were firing even and they both warmed up nicely.

I brought it into a small engine repair shop to have carbs done and to look into speedo bearing because the speedometer quit. Next thing i know he's telling me (without compression test or investigation) I could have an oil problem that is "common" on my sled and in order to change the speedo bearing and the oil problem, the engine has to come out and basically be rebuilt for $1000 us.

So, really? I thought changing the speedo bearing was easy. Also, I thought the oil problem was on the 550 fan cooled machines. He said its the same block, different bore and the problems affect 500 liquid cooled too. Is he wrong? What are your experiences?

Thanks for your help guys.

If it were me it me I would get my sled out of there. You asked him to clean the carbs and change a bearing. That is what he should do. If your sled doesn't function properly after the authorized work is performed, he should then contact you and inform you there is additional work. He should not do any additional work until you authorize it. just my $.02

Good luck.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
I think its the speedo key to I've never really seen one that wasn't on a older sled like that. What I do is take it out put in trash with spedo cable and spedo. Then put silk screen over spedo hole. Now your lighter and it's a free cheesy mod. Tach is all that matters IMO

Whether or not he needs/wants a speedometer is a moot point if the drive shaft bearing is bad. Any time the speedometer stops working on these sleds it's important the check the drive shaft bearing, because it is often the cause (but not necessarily the cause) of the key shearing.

Besides the speedometer, it also drives the odometer/trip meter. The trip meter comes in handy if you're looking for a turnoff that is a specific number of miles from another point.

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Where do you live? There are many reputable shops out there and people on here that will/can help you out.

One of the check valves could have gone bad for the oil injection. There are 2 of them and they are in the block. Not very common but when it does happen the valves are no longer able to stop the oil from flowing freely into the motor by way of gravity.

Secondly, if the driveshaft bearing has gone bad on the speedo side that is a job to replace it. Sometimes they can be changed without removing the driveshaft but this is very rare.

Both are time consuming and if he is going by the book this can easily come up to the total he has quoted you.

If you don't trust thie shop, get a second opinion.

Premium Features