• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Taper lock removal

S
Apr 30, 2008
Enumclaw, WA
Acoording to The Manual - this is what you do: ('05 600)

- Remove the two setscrews that hold the taper lock and
the 28-tooth upper drive sprocket in place. (Position 1)
Using a punch, hit the taper lock 2-3 times in the shaded
zone shown at right (Position 5) to loosen the grip
between the taper lock and the sprocket.

- Insert and thread in one of these two setscrews into the
extraction hole (Position 2), at a maximum torque of 14
N-m (125 lbf-in). The sprocket and taper lock assembly
should now be free to slide off the shaft.

Gog Gear Pic From Manual:

Cog_Gear.jpg

I did everything it says, beat the crap out of the top one as I have a sledr2 shaft and cjgodden gears so not to worried about damage, still no luck, Heat it up, bigger hammer or what? does someone have any hints on how to remove this thing - it has never been off same as the bottom can't get it to budge!

Thanks from ViceGrip sledgehammer man...

Last edited:
C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
The manual is wrong, don't hit it in the shaded area. hit it on the next outer ring, the other side that the set screw screws into. If it has been awhile since it has been apart you will have to beat on it ( and take the set screws out when you are hitting it). Its a tapered fit and the inside piece has to come out tword you and the outer half moves tword the chassis( to remove ). When they are taken apart frequently just srcewing the set screws into it will take it apart, but if it stays on for any length of time the inner collar sticks to the shaft and can be a real pain to move.

B
Nov 28, 2007
Take out the 2 set screws. The one on the left, put one set screw in there. Get a socket allen that size and turn it . It'll pop off like snnap crackle, Did mine for the first time last week.

A
Dec 24, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I had the exact issues with mine. Never been off and wanted to stay on there. The allen screw would not work for me, as I couldn't get enough torque on it. I found a long bolt with the same thread pattern and screwed it in with a rachet /socket. I was able to then get enough torque on it to pop it off. The bolt has now become part of my tool kit.

AkBillyBow

Premium Features