• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Powderlites 1200

D
Jan 3, 2010
09 Powderlites 1200 problems

Bought a 09 1200 that was turbo'd, had a blast for about 45mins - 1hr.

One of the guys I was riding with noticed alot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust so we stopped.

Oil smell, and blue everywhere. Shut down, hauled it home too a look today in daylight.

Lots of oil under intercooler, so I took the intercooler off and there is oil in the piping. My guess is a seal has gone. Would like some input!!

DSCI0033.jpg DSCI0043.jpg DSCI0031.jpg

S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
hey sorry to hear that
so you bought it used? is that right
how much boost were u running?
what kinda gas were u running?
what was ur af gauge running at?

Last edited:
D
Jan 3, 2010
Yep bought it used.

Its hard as hell to pay attention to boost and a/f ratios while running hard.

I was running shell 91 octane fuel. Boost seemed to be around 10-12 lbs, but noticed it would pop up to over 15.

A/f seemed to idle around 13, and the short time I ran wot would be 10-11.5...

When it happen I was running wide open for about 15 seconds.

S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
Yep bought it used.

Its hard as hell to pay attention to boost and a/f ratios while running hard.

I was running shell 91 octane fuel. Boost seemed to be around 10-12 lbs, but noticed it would pop up to over 15.

A/f seemed to idle around 13, and the short time I ran wot would be 10-11.5...

When it happen I was running wide open for about 15 seconds.

idles are funny to read till engine is warmer up and ready to go...
hate to tell you but running 91 ant that high boost is not the best idea. I run half and half at 10 or strit better to be safe gas is a small price to pay over engine

Im not saying that the issues with the oil , when u first saw the problem did you notice what the af was on ride home were you making any boost at all?
udo you know if its a stage one or stage two?

u just see oil by intercooler-----any under engine or on it?

Last edited:
D

DLUX

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie
On the skidoo PL kit the oil is pumped via the factory engine oil pump, i would guess you lost the mechanical seal in the turbo but its best to check with PL they might have some better sugestions.

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Oil in intake of turbo

A few things that can cause oil in the intercooler or charge tube etc.
1=Oil can't return from turbo to crankcase from pinch hose.
2=Airfilter intake iced up and or restricted so it sucks oil through compressor side of turbo.
3= To much blowby and crankcase pressure won't allow oil to return to motor.
4=Oil scavage pump plastic gears from cold starting strip and oil all stays in the bottom of engine and tank will be low and if run to long no oil to motor !!
Seals on turbo will seal back up once problem is solved!
Turbo should be fine unless bearings are gone.

S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
A few things that can cause oil in the intercooler or charge tube etc.
1=Oil can't return from turbo to crankcase from pinch hose.
2=Airfilter intake iced up and or restricted so it sucks oil through compressor side of turbo.
3= To much blowby and crankcase pressure won't allow oil to return to motor.
4=Oil scavage pump plastic gears from cold starting strip and oil all stays in the bottom of engine and tank will be low and if run to long no oil to motor !!
Seals on turbo will seal back up once problem is solved!
Turbo should be fine unless bearings are gone.

so hey guys what ur thoughts on the gas? what is the best mix too run with low or high boost?:)

D
Jan 3, 2010
pretty sure this is stage one, I just bought it. The guy I bought it from said he was running 10lbs while ge was mountain riding and I didnt touch a thing when I rode it.

The sled still drives and it still spools up. Idle is very rough and smoke is every where.

I was driving along at probably 80 mph or so and the engine just gave out. I came to a stop and smoke was everywhere so I drove it to the road and picked it up with the suv!!

D

DLUX

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie
Yes lets talk fuel a bit i am running strait vp 111 at 12 lbs boost just doing this to be safe for the first few rides, but i have noticed that i am running quite rich so will race gas act rich when prem gas will be ok? also what is the fuel recomendations for the different boost levels on this turbo, i'm running stage 2 does that make any difference. i'm also running the head shim.

One other thing how much fuel should i take away on my map, like what is one point equal too?

S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
if your making boost sound like a simple fix sorry about fuel comment it is important but your oil leak does sound like a crimp. hope you like ur sled we are here to help realy I got a trip up there u are welcome ton come along we'll get u rocking!!!!!!:):beer;

D
Jan 3, 2010
An easy fix would be awesome!!!

Yeah I understand fuel is a huge deal. I run a BMW 335i with about 400rwhp and 440ft/lbs of torque fuel is a huge factor! Which is why I orderd a meth kit! which will likely be installed on the sled in the winter and car in the summer.

Like the car I assumed the sled would be fine with the provided "map"! I will check the linesfor a crimp!!

S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
An easy fix would be awesome!!!

Yeah I understand fuel is a huge deal. I run a BMW 335i with about 400rwhp and 440ft/lbs of torque fuel is a huge factor! Which is why I orderd a meth kit! which will likely be installed on the sled in the winter and car in the summer.

Like the car I assumed the sled would be fine with the provided "map"! I will check the linesfor a crimp!!

I have room it my rig to get you up there planning a trip u in?????

Premium Features