• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'99 RMK 700, what to start new from bottom up.

C
Jan 9, 2009
Lander Wyoming
Last year I had the skirt brake off the pull start side piston. The motor locked up almost instantly. But not before dammaging the head and cylinder( not 100% sure on crank damage yet).

So far i have gotten my hands on another empty motor case for a new cylinder and a possible bottom end. I do not know yet on how much the build will cost in tottal, but had a few question on what way i should go about my build.

1:To rebuild or but a hole other running motor and just do the swap. my problem with this is the cost. For what a good reliable motor costs i could be an ok condition complet sled. Another bad thing about buying a motor/sled is i have something someone elese built and dont fully know the build and relyabuility of the builder/owner.

2:Building the motor to be reliable for the best price i can without skimping and buying crapy parts or labor. I have called SLP and i know i will costly(given there is damage to the crank, case, or bearings).

But when looking for parts and pices i have see some prebuilt bottom ends for ok prices by reputibal places. And one of my questions to the forum is about the bottom end on the motor. Are the 600, 700 and 800 bottome ends all the same in thoues years and are the interchangabl?

And finally any other information anyone can give me on building the motor, buying parts, or machine shops to go to would be really helpfull. also anyone with ued parts would be nice to.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Theres only one way to do it and its do it right. For me i got the same sled it was 700 to respray the jugs and 600 for pistons and gaskets. it was in total i think near 2000 just for the motor. but put it this way. you could buy a machine for that price but atleast if you rebuilt it you know what you have into it. you could get another machine an have it grenade on you anyways. its all chance lol. your lucky though if it just needs pistons.. try finding a smaller local shop thats into snowmobiles . someone who knows what there doing and can hook you up with discounts and give good advice lol just my 2cents

M
Nov 3, 2008
Monroe,WA
Just my 2 cts worth. Find a 600 or 700 bottom end & have SLP go thru it. I did that 5 years ago and have since went from a SLP ported 700 / same motor w/ nos , then a UB 770 w/ nos on the same bottom.

Attachments

• HPIM1015.jpg
    HPIM1015.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 80
Premium Features