• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help on water pump belt replacement...

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
I need to get in and check my water pump belt since everyone I talk to tells me how they've burnt down their motors because the belts popped.

Where is it and who makes the best belts?

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
Real easy to do, just pop the recoil housing off (5-3/8 bolts iirc) and you can slip the old belt off and a new belt should be able to be fitted on without removing the starter pulley cage... While your in there inspect the water pump/oil pump drive shaft end. You can buy belts through polaris for $45 or pm sledguy on this forum for some special made kevlar belts for something like $25 (if he still has em'). Happy wrenchin' :cool:

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
The Gates belt is a special order item. You must order something like 80 of them to get them to make them. Sledguy ordered up a bunch of them and sold them but he is currently out and is trying to decide if he will make another order. So currently your only option is the dealer.

M
Jan 6, 2010
Butte MT
oem !!! and dont let your recoil rope go when you start your machine the rope can get on that water pump belt pulley and spit it off w/o you knowing it wil burn down real quick it also runs your oil pump

B
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
I have been through 3 belts so far, the original belt went at 2500 miles. Put a genuine Polaris belt in it and got a 150 out of it. So we put a gates on and havent had a problem. The two times it happened it was pretty obvious it went, other than the temp light coming on. The motor would lean out and rev up high at idle because of it not gettin oil.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
belt

I have drilled a 3/8 hole in the cover right over the oil pump pulley as an inspection window. Covered it with a piece of tape to keep it dry. Being over the oil pump; it is a small distance from the stator so even if moisture got in, it would drain out the bottom before getting to the stator. If she over heats, just pull the tape to see if the belt is there and moves when you pull the motor over. I am sure you could even find a rubber plug to put in it if you wanted.

Premium Features