• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

485 phazer/venture starting question

A
Jul 27, 2001
Meridian, ID
I have a '92 Venture with a million miles on it and it has been extremely dependable - until last Wednesday. It has elec start, which I've never used since the battery is dead and it's always been pretty simple to just pull start it. Anyway, it has always pulled a little hard but I figured that was just the drag of the elec start.

Well on Wed, a friend's daughter was riding it and after she shut it off it would not fire again. It pulled over harder than before too. So we towed it back and tonight I've gotten into it and I can't find the problem.

The pistons/cylinders both look good. The crank seems to be tight on both sides. The only thing I can figure is that stupid starter motor assy. In looking at it, it would appear that I have to pull the whole freaking motor to get it out.

So what do I do? Do I pull the motor? Is it even possible that is the problem? I'm really stumped here and I was planning on using the sled this weekend to put a different kid on for a family ride.

Any help would be appreciated!

Premium Features