• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche rescue and beacon field session. Brainerd, January 14, 2010

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Please note that prerequisite is the four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.
If the evening class at Ski Gull fills up, I will try to arrange a class in the morning on the same day.

Four Hour Avalanche Beacon and Rescue Field Session

Outdoors setting. Hands-on training.

Date: January 14, 2009
Location: Brainerd, MN Ski Gull. www.skigull.com 9898 County Rd 77sw Nisswa, MN 56468
Directions
From Brainerd: North on Hwy 371 approximately 4 miles to County Road 77 (Pine Beach Road). Turn west on 77 aproximately 10 miles to Ski Gull on your right.
From Nisswa: South on Hwy 371 approximately 2 miles to County Road 77. Turn east on 77 approximately 7 miles to Ski Gull on your left.

Time: Thursday 6pm-10pm

Prerequisite: Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.
Learn: To find a beacon in under two minutes, search efficiently for multiple beacons, probe for a victim, search techniques, lead and execute a fast avalanche rescue.
Course content:
Single and multiple beacon searches.
o Search patterns.
o Walk by test.
o Working as a team.
o Accurate pinpointing.
o Effective shoveling
o Common mistakes in beacon searches.
Probing
o Finding someone without a beacon
o Effective probing and pinpointing deep burials
Rescue techniques.
o It not just looking at a beacon.
o Analyzing the avalanche and finding the most likely burial point.
o Coordination and step by step procedures for a fast rescue.
o Leadership and team work.
o probing and probe lines.
o Mistakes in rescue.
Rescue scenarios.
o Group timed rescue.
o Find victims with and without beacons.
What to bring:
• Warm clothes and extra gloves. Dress much warmer than you would expect. We have never cancelled a class due to weather.
• Food and water.
• Sunscreen.
• Your avalanche gear: beacon, shovel, probe.
• Good health, please let us know if you have health conditions or concerns. We will be walking/running up and down hills on the rescue scenario and rescue station.
We supply: Beacons, shovels and probes if you do not have them.
Take the class with those you ride with

Cost $79 Must sign up and pay in advance. Only ten students. Send check to: Avalanche 1
PO Box 2298 Avon, CO 81620.
Cancellation policy: No refund unless 96 hours advanced notice.

To sign up: Email Mike Duffy: duffyww1@aol.com or call 970-390-9433. Please contact if you have any questions.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding, AVPRO. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years. Member American Avalanche Association. Trained by BCA and Ortovox.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Class went very well. These guys had blistering speed in finding beacons and we moved on to much more advanced techniques. Everyone was finding beacons in under 2 minutes. Then 3 beacons in less than 3 minutes. Moved into micro search strips and parallel search strips. These guys were even finding the buried bags without beacons on the search scenario. Must admit that snowmobilers are easier to teach than most skiers. Congratulations to the following for passing the course and doing an excellent job. I would want them looking for me if I got buried.

Tyler Borgemoen
Brent Borgemoen
David Palmer- very entertaining, had some great jokes.
Kent Nordell
Tyler Nordell
Steve Brown
Bruce Bursch
Correy Vammil
Kevin Berg
Chris Watterrad
Brenden May
Dennis May

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
avalanche1 is also on facebook and I have posted a photo of the participants.

Premium Features