• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex Tether kill issues...Please Help.

Aug 15, 2008
Hey everybody,
I just got my sled back from the shop a couple weeks ago, 08 Apex MTX Turbo, and now that we are finally getting some snow, tonight was the first time I was able to test things out. Anyways, here's what I'm dealing with:
It's a closed loop tether kill, when my sled is running and I pull the tether off, the sled doesn't shut down. So looking at the wiring, I tried unplugging the plugs as well for the tether while the sled is running and it still doesn't shut down.
Now here's the interesting part, when I have the tether pulled off with the sled not running and I turn the key to start it, I have power but it won't start. Looking at it, it is running in series with the brown/white wire.
Did the guy from the shop just tie the tether in to the starter? Should I try and move it to just the brown wire?
I really want this working, after spending as much as I have on this thing, I want a little insurance in case it gets away from me ya know?? lol

Thanks for the help.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Something is fishy. When the tether is pulled there should be no power, it should not turn over until the loop is closed. Sounds like it is not hooked up correctly because if it was and the wire was loose you would have no power and no running.

GL

Typical install is about 20 min.

Aug 15, 2008
I havent' pulled the tape yet, but it looks like he might have used heat shrink on it....:mad: I might pull it later tonight just to see what I'm workin with... any suggestions otherwise??

Aug 15, 2008
rx1ton,
is your ignition hookup the same as mine with 4 wires? Thanks for posting, I still havent ripped it apart as I am on shift, to see what exactly is going on under the shrink.

Anybody else with any ideas. I will be checking this out for sure on Wed....

Oh yeah, does anybody have a wiring diagram for an 08 apex? I could figure out voltages from there and figure out what wire is meant for what .....

Last edited:
B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
it should be a brown wire you cut & run the tether inline if he tied into the brown & brown white that is the prob & almost sounds like what he has done.:beer;

R

Rx1ton

Jan 2, 2008
Columbia Falls MT.
I was looking at an Apex assembly and it looks to be the same as on my Rx1. I would just rewire it inline into the brown wire and you should be good.

Aug 15, 2008
Thanks for the posts guys,
I got a wiring diagram from the service manual, and the brown/white wire is for the ignition. So that is why it won't start, but I still have power when the cord is pulled. The brown wire is the wire sending power to the ignition and through to the kill switch. I will let you guys know how I make out, I'm gonna do this probably tomorrow or on Wed.

B
Mar 13, 2009
Libby Montana
I am pretty sure it is the brown wire... my phazer has the same brown & brown/white ignition wires and i just put a jacobson rollover tether on. Went inline of the brown wire and the tether works perfectly. Check out fourstrokesolutionsllc for IMO what every fourstroke should have. Great product.

Aug 15, 2008
Just tried out the brown wire and that's the one that needs to be hooked up. I just have to clean up the wiring now, my installer used heat tape on all the connections, plus sodered everything.. So I gotta do a little more work tomorrow to clean everything up and make it look a little more professional. Thanks for all the help guys, I know I can always rely on you guys. Have a good one...

Premium Features