• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 X Piston Ring Broke/head repair?

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
I broke off about an inch off a piston ring on my mag cylinder and it chewed up the head. Wiseco pistons 1mm over bore with about 1200miles on the pistons. I have an extra cylinder and piston on hand so thats not a problem, and a different story.

Is it possible for a machinist to reshape the head and deck it for the correct compression or do I have to track down a used head. I have an 98 670 summit x. If you guys have any ideas let me know.

S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
If not damaged to much a machinist can repair the damaged dome but you will need to do both and shave the head. This will cost a lot more than tracking down a good used head or buy an aftermarket head. Machine work is quite expensive. Hope this helps.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I know the heads are different from the X motor to the non X but can the non X heads be run on the X motor.

It would bolt up but the compression would be much lower......the std has a dome piston and the x has a flat top.......I would look for another head if it's bad enough it won't polish out.

D
Jan 17, 2009
GF, MT
can you show some pics of the head ? weiscos do usally need more clerance than stock type pistons and also m ore ring end gap
have a great day dan

Premium Features