• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

860 Big Bore Turbo Up And Running!!

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Got more ride time on it again today so now she's ready to go back to Wyoming. It was a lesson learned, too bad it's was the hard way and something I didn't need to know:rolleyes:. It's all good now and other than some minor things that I would change she hauls a$$!!:eek::eek:

Dave

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
someone needs to donate a camera/video recorder to this guy..

starting to think his work is protected by a restricted area at nasa facility.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Lesson learned is you have to run a jetting spec within reasonable bounds of what the carb was designed to run. Amazing how well that works;)

I dont think Dave has had time to take any pictures:eek:

Jake

D
Nov 26, 2007
HMMMMMMMMM.

1st off.. So I talked to the owner of this sled the other day and he tells me he has to go to Laramie to pick it up. Thats fine and Dandy. I dont know what your arrangements were. If it were my sled and the turbo builder made the mistake he did, he would be dropping that sled off at my door step, NOT 7 HOURS AWAY..

2nd.. I passed the owner of this sled today coming home. I knew he was coming back from having to go get it. I NOTICED THEIR WAS NO SLED IN HIS TRUCK... He drove 7 hours one way to pick it up and it still didnt run & came home without it... If this were my sled I would be one pissed off guy and someone else would not be liking life..

I hope you make this right Dave.. I have no doubt you can make this sled run, but so far you have not impressed anyone, including myself. I know for a fact that the owner of this sled is leaving to go to Cooke in just over a week. I hope he has his sled back....

Last edited:

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
not bashing at all but if you are selling these kits video and pics would help a potential customer make his/her decision. a lot of people want to see a sled in action because anyone can talk about how well their sled runs. not saying they dont run good but customers like to see the product in action before they drop 4k+ on a turbo kit. just my $.02

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
HMMMMMMMMM.

1st off.. So I talked to the owner of this sled the other day and he tells me he has to go to Laramie to pick it up. Thats fine and Dandy. I dont know what your arrangements were. If it were my sled and the turbo builder made the mistake he did, he would be dropping that sled off at my door step, NOT 7 HOURS AWAY..

2nd.. I passed the owner of this sled today coming home. I knew he was coming back from having to go get it. I NOTICED THEIR WAS NO SLED IN HIS TRUCK... He drove 7 hours one way to pick it up and it still didnt run & came home without it... If this were my sled I would be one pissed off guy and someone else would not be liking life..

I hope you make this right Dave.. I have no doubt you can make this sled run, but so far you have not impressed anyone, including myself. I know for a fact that the owner of this sled is leaving to go to Cooke in just over a week. I hope he has his sled back....

HMMMMMMMMM
It doesn't sound good!!
Man does he need to borrow a turbo Doo???

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
not bashing at all but if you are selling these kits video and pics would help a potential customer make his/her decision. a lot of people want to see a sled in action because anyone can talk about how well their sled runs. not saying they dont run good but customers like to see the product in action before they drop 4k+ on a turbo kit. just my $.02

yeah i made a thread and still no replies. was considering a kit this fall but NO proof of a good running kit. guess ill have to wait till spring. ive been riding for 2 months already taking lots of vids. not sure where all these turbo xp guys are at. either having to much fun riding or to much time wrenching. theres a really bad rep out there for turbo skidoos and its still not looking good.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
First of all this is a turbo kit for the 800 and its on the 860. The turboed 800s run. The 860 has some issues at elevations higher than 6500'. This was supposed to be a group effort for an 860 turbo specific engine. The first round of mistakes was not even my fault, no big deal, problem fixed. I just had to drive for a complete day to go pick the sled up. Now we have a bad turbo out of the deal for reasons I will keep to myself and an engine that falls on its face at 10000'. So the engine is my deal? I build turbo kits, not engines. People can look at it how ever they want. I have the mental capacity to dig into it, and LEARN and succeed with the information I acquire along they way and the others will still be trying to figure it out. I personally don't see the gain in the 860. Even when I could build 10-12+ psi of boost here at 6500' it just didn't run as hard as it should. Just turbo the 800 and let it rip.

Dave

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If the 800's run so well , why not just run two more pounds of boost and be done with it. Put the 860 topend on swapmeet and go back to stock. Just a thought. Hope you get it figured out.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Customer doesn't want that. I offered, but no dice. I'll get it figured out;). It will all become public in one form or another:). We all have the ability to make mistakes:eek:.

At this piont we can't build enough boost, one bad turbo, one VERY PISSED off customer:mad::mad:, understandably, one frustrated turbo builder:confused:, and other variables that need to be conqured:rolleyes:.

Dave

If the 800's run so well , why not just run two more pounds of boost and be done with it. Put the 860 topend on swapmeet and go back to stock. Just a thought. Hope you get it figured out.

R

Revanator

860 vs 800

I know a couple great guys that can tune sleds (one being Lynn Felker) that have messed around alot trying to get an 860 better than a 800. Only advantage was the first 30ft. the 860 would pull ahead, other than that there the same.

860's are a little better for turbo's cause of more torque off the bottom. From experience in tuning they are harder to get dialed in at high elevation than the 800, but once you get them, they are better for boondocking and in and out of the throttle situations because of the slightly more broad torque band off the bottom. Other than that, 860 vs 800 overall hp is the same, if you think your goin to get more top-end hp on an 860, your pissing into the wind.

When going from 2K ft. to 9k with my sled, it was amazing how much difference in jetting to finally get it to work. 450 mains, 6DH4 jet needles, power jets 2 1/2 turns. at low elevation. 9k is 350 mains, 6DH3 (3rd slot), power jets about 1 1/2 area, depending on temperature. Use slightly less fuel than a stock 800 for general boondocking, deep snow and hillclimbing you start drinking fuel. 11.6- 12 A/FR WOT on 1 min+ hillclimbs.

Really Hope you get that sled dialed in! It will be a runnin sled forsure!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
the main advantages i would see with a 860 turbo, over the 800 are, much broader torque over the entire rpm range lighting the turbo quicker and smother
860 should also be able to run at a lower boost level to make the same power compared to 800

drawback might be fuel consumtion, and your on your own till others set them up

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I know a couple great guys that can tune sleds (one being Lynn Felker) that have messed around alot trying to get an 860 better than a 800. Only advantage was the first 30ft. the 860 would pull ahead, other than that there the same.

860's are a little better for turbo's cause of more torque off the bottom. From experience in tuning they are harder to get dialed in at high elevation than the 800, but once you get them, they are better for boondocking and in and out of the throttle situations because of the slightly more broad torque band off the bottom. Other than that, 860 vs 800 overall hp is the same, if you think your goin to get more top-end hp on an 860, your pissing into the wind.

When going from 2K ft. to 9k with my sled, it was amazing how much difference in jetting to finally get it to work. 450 mains, 6DH4 jet needles, power jets 2 1/2 turns. at low elevation. 9k is 350 mains, 6DH3 (3rd slot), power jets about 1 1/2 area, depending on temperature. Use slightly less fuel than a stock 800 for general boondocking, deep snow and hillclimbing you start drinking fuel. 11.6- 12 A/FR WOT on 1 min+ hillclimbs.

Really Hope you get that sled dialed in! It will be a runnin sled forsure!

I know of 1 860 in Felkers area...he doesnt have any problem with ported 800's much less stockers...couldnt possibly be the extra 20 hp...:rolleyes:-BJ

Premium Features