• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump drive on 99 RMK600

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Well, I finally got around to changing the water pump belt on this sled and found something that has me puzzled. The shaft that comes out of the water pump which drives the oil pump is really chewed up. Actually it is best described as worn at about a 30 degree angle on both sides where the force is applied. It has a slot on the end which the oil pump shaft fits into. The oil pump shaft has a flat end much like a flat bladed screwdriver which goes into this shaft. I don't know what would cause this but have a couple of ideas. First one was that the oil pump maybe was too hard to turn so there was too much pressure on the shaft but it doesn't seem to be any harder to turn than normal. The other idea is that maybe the old belt was too loose so was ratcheting and it caused a jackhammer effect on the drive. I can buy a new shaft from Polaris which is good but I would like to fix the cause also. Does anyone have any other ideas what may have happened or even seen this before?

Premium Features