• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 SRX600 / Recommended Modifications ???

C
Jan 12, 2008
Picked up a super mint 1998 Yamaha SRX 600 Triple, Triple...New to Yamaha sleds and simply wondering what mods have made this sled as good as it can be ???

It already is equipped with Ohlins shocks front and back, Simmons skis and new Rip-Saw 1.5" track

Thanks guys for the feedback....What an awesome motor in this little buggy !!!

C
Jan 12, 2008
Really just looking to shed some weight and get the sled to perform better...

What is gained by going to aftermarket silencer outside of weight loss ? Have heard some folks complain about performance with non-oem silencers ?

What height bar riser can be added without buying new cables ?

Any feedback is appreciated...

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
gut the air box , thinner head gasket, reeds and a mbrp can really wake these up but prepare to run 91+ fuel. you can go 7-8 inches with mountain srx cables. they are worth the money. but stock cables maybe 2-3 inches.

T
Dec 1, 2007
I owned 2 600 srx,s. Don,t gut the airbox or run anyones can. They do not use a head gasket that you can thin out as they use o-rings. You can cut the head 10 thou but if you get bad gas your gonna have issues.I have a great clutch set up for 1-2000' elevation. Stock clutching at low elevation is horribly wrong.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I owed 5 SRX's over the years. I agree 100% with Turk on this.

Do NOT gut the air box. The only silencer that didnt hurt perf was a Power INC but it didnt drop that much weight and was geting hard to find 5 years ago.

V-force reeds are worth a couple HP. Your biggest gain will be in clutching. As for weight lose a Boss seat would be a good start, you can also drop some weight with aftermarket frontend parts. Eric

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
my mistake i thought they ran 3pc head gaskets like the sx's. why not gut the air box? if you jet up a little. we did the mods(except the head gaskets) on my friends 600 srx and it would spank the 700's

T
Dec 1, 2007
In equal state of tune a 700 will smoke a 600. So you made the 600 slower & beat a 700. I modded the airbox on my 98 600 srx & it was a nightmare to get jetting close.The 700 you beat probably had very bad clutching & pulled thru powervalves. Happens really a lot.

C
Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the info Turk and others...

I would not think of gutting the airbox, but maybe go to the fresh air intake from Bender ??? Any experience with this mod ?

Also, Any experience with the Bender Can...Shaves alot of weight, slight gain in h.p. ( So they say ) Also Bender is recommending their clutch kit ( Which they have sold 100's of )

I have no experience with Bender products, so any insight would be helpful...

Again....Thanks for the info guys !!!

C
Jan 12, 2008
A sled for riding on mountain trails in OR, WA and CO...Not trying to turn it into a "mountain sled"...Just a great handling / running trail sled...

T
Dec 1, 2007
Cold air kit does zip for performance. It actually blows air out & when hard on the throttle your foam piece will come out. If your in azz deep snow it may help the engine breath. A bender can lost 3 mph on radar on a buds 700 srx same day same conditions & it,s one of the better ones. I don,t know how much experience Bender has clutching a sled at your elevation...better ask em that before you buy but the stock set up can be tweaked to run well at higher elevation.

Premium Features