• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha ECU Re-Flash

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
Hi Folks

I am more in the Polaris section at home but i have done some work on a Yamaha sleds last week so maybe it is interesting for yamaha owners to.

I am able to re-flash yamaha Nytro/Apex ECU for more Performance. I do also ski-doo 1200cc but it's other section

Normally i do it for racing teams, then there are not so many yamaha sleds in my area. 99% ski-doo and 1% polaris (me) :)

thx

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
on the sleds we have done before we changed fuel map, timing and move the rev limit, also few optimizations.

the cost for each ecu is 900 EUR + shipping to me.
if you sell the sled or do any other change the back-flash to OEM map is free + shipping

They changed the rules for racing so stock class means here in europe "really stock" so no changes allowed. expect you can do some changes they can not find out :)

so we re-flash only stock sleds. re-flashing modified sleds cost me to much time and money. and stock, we test on dyno or like we do it now, we ride it every day.
after re-flash one Nytro sled we have 320 "racing condition" miles on tacho and the sled is working perfect, so for recreation riders it should work perfect.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i would be curious to see the gains. everysled i pickup from the dealer i have them crank up the fuel a bit to try and get some more power, did work with the dealer to correct the fuel map to work with my exhaust. using efi boxes to correct for exhaust only is a joke u can do that with stock ecu.

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
yamaha is very computer mod. friendly.
the engine is underpowered
after changing the map to performance mod. (and that is for me 12.0-12.3) you can feel the difference.
There are so many sensibilities to make changes in the ECU, the guys who are working on the R1 bike know all the tricks and know all the little changes you have to do to make hp.
even if you go to the limit with the ECU configuration you can not reach the limit of the hardware. (turbos are also using the engine stock parts)

R
Nov 29, 2009
So for $1,356.12 (900 EU) I can ship my ecu to some guy i don't know in austria, for a couple of hp maybe. For that amount of money you could by one of ulmers trail performance packages and get some real hp gains. Just my 2 cents.

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
however, it was a free information. so you can keep your 2 cent :)

you can take few bucks more and buy a turbo kit for yamaha so you can have a real power and a standalone ECU.

anyway, it is possible and the reason for the price is the testing procedure for the ECU after re-flashig.

M
Oct 1, 2009
I've found more often than not "custom" tunes for any motorsports mean copy and pasting general templates from a general file for some other sled. Every sled is different in terms of sensors and voltage outputs etc to the ecu, so taking a tune that worked for another sled doesn't mean that its going to work for your sled. The best way is to get a data log system and you can tune off o2, egt, etc or better yet all the above and a dyno.

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
+10000

If you compare the maps between two yamaha sleds you will see there are sometimes differences in the f map.

That is the reason why i do only "stock" sleds.
Every change (exhaust, intake, igni,...) need a change in the ECU and you need the whole sled on the dyno.

on stock ecu you can get the original data, load it in the engine simulator and tune it to work with 99,8% accuracy on the stock engine. and i can test it directly on a sled here.
OEM map is working with 88% accuracy

I've found more often than not "custom" tunes for any motorsports mean copy and pasting general templates from a general file for some other sled. Every sled is different in terms of sensors and voltage outputs etc to the ecu, so taking a tune that worked for another sled doesn't mean that its going to work for your sled. The best way is to get a data log system and you can tune off o2, egt, etc or better yet all the above and a dyno.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
While this is really a good idea.

The cost and shipping issues would be the biggest factors for this.

This would be great to have something/someone like this in the states doing tuning.

To solve muffler and intake mod issues...and to get a bit more out of the setup all together.

The price/distance is really the killer on this deal though. But the idea really should be looked into more widely IMO.

Exhaust manufactures could build a map for their exhaust system, and sell you a muffler, midpipe, header (if they wish) along with their ECU tune to match it.
Makes sense to me...

Snowmobiles seem so far behind in technology, when the same stuff is being done on other vehicles for many many years now.
It shouldn't be so tough to make the same thing happen for a snowmobile engine anymore..

Premium Features