• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vibration

S
Nov 24, 2009
Idaho
This is awesome forum, thanks to all for your help with my other posts. I went riding this weekend and another thing that I would like your input, is I have a vibration while the track is in motion. I know the crank issues. I have not done a crank runout, I took it in last year for this concern and they found my motor mounts broke. I rode it and the vibration is still there. I notice the vibration while the track is moving, i can feel the vibration thought the handle bar and the running boards. The track is not ratcheting, one thing that I have not done that i was going to do was pull the clutch and have it balanced. As i said the vibration seems to occur with track speed. The worst of vibration seems to be worst on the trail at low speed. I am running a 156x2 track. Could it be just me being worried, I was told that there will be vebraion do to the long tread and track. Hopefully this make since and anything will help.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Does your speedo work??? A very common cause of the vibration you are desribing is the bearing on the driveshaft opposite the chaincase. On the speedo drive end. Usually when that bearing starts to go bad, it shears the pin that drives the spedo. It can still be bad even if your speedo is working. Very common problem. I change them every other season just to be safe.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Did you extend the suspension? Or slid it back? I would look at where track goes around the rear idlers, see if it is catching the rail. Or the track might be rubbing on one of the suspension crossbars, might be an idler with siezed bearings also. Other possiblities are: bent drive shaft, drivers out of sync with one another, bent track clip, bad bearings, bad belt.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Just check to make sure the drivers are aligned together, they probably are. Make sure that the hyfax ends early enough to not clip the track as it starts to curve around the back wheels.

S
Nov 24, 2009
Idaho
Hyfax are brand new today. They clear the track and just checked and the drivers look good not cliping track at all. Only have one set of bogey wheels and they are up at the from of skid at curve and checked them and they feel good. Going to replace belt and try next weekend pending snow and see if that helps. What about the clutch? but, there is only vibration at idle. just higher rpm.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
I didnt extend the suspension, but it has been fro a 151 to a 156. QUOTE]

How did you make the track fit? Rail extensions, slide back or bigger wheels? Is there any funny wear on the track paddles? Might be a bolt sticking through the tunnel catching the lugs. Is the track aligned? Is the track quite loose? Sometimes really loose tracks will 'balloon' up and hit the tunnel under the seat. Are they regular drivers or extroverts? Are they spaced apart correctly for the track? Take your belt off and examine it, throw the spare on and take it for a rip. Put the sled on a stand, remove the belt and turn the track by hand, see if it is hitting anywhere. I had a huge vibration problem on my mod, turns out the drive nubs were rubbing on my front crossbar. Make sure the lugs are not hitting the front heat exchanger.

R
Sep 21, 2008
My buddy had a BAD vibration on his sled last week when we went riding. We switched the belt out and it went away. We looked over the "bad" belt and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I never would have guessed that a belt would cause such a vibration.

W
Nov 27, 2007
how do your jackshaft and driveshaft bearings look? I had similar issues last year that went away after I changed all the bearings out.

Premium Features