• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

zr 500won't start

Q
Jul 12, 2008
my 98 zr 500 won't start. ive pulled on it 1000 times and it won't go. i put new plugs in. and when i use starting fluid it fires right up but only runs for a second. i also just replace the fuel filter. the snow is starting to fly so i need some input ASAP, could it possibly be the fuel pump? when it warm it ran just fine.

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
Pull off the fuel line from the pump to the carbs and see if it moves any fuel when u pull the motor over. If you're still not getting any fuel then check the pulse line from the crankcase to the fuel pump for damage, I've had a few of these fail on my sleds. If u r getting fuel to the carbs then they r most likely gunked up from sitting over the summer and require a good cleaning. Good Luck!

Sprocket

kevinhoglund

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stanwood, Wa
I had a fuel pump on my sled that would stop working if my sled sat outside over night after a ride. the problem turned out to be water gir in the fuel pump diapham and the diapham was frozen. take you pump out and take it apart to see if all the diadhams are ok. there is not much to the fuel pumps.

Premium Features