• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

factory altitude compensator on 99 rmk???

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
hey i currently got a 99 rmk 700 that i just rebuilt. im wondering what to recomend for the intake. Im not to sure if socks will be good b/.c wouldnt they not get the cold air?. as well does the 99 rmk's come with some sort of altitude compensator? theres a funky lil device bolted on the airbox thats factory with the carbs. my budys 98 doesnt have that peice.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Carbs

Run the stock box not socks. Socks pull heat from under the hood. You want cold air. That compensator restricts the vents on the carbs and is supposed to compensate for elevation changes. You could probably leave it on if you are at fairly low elevation. Other wise pull it off and vent the carbs into the air box. You will need to rejet. The 98 jetting should be pretty close to start with. Look at mains, pilots, needles, sliders, everything if you decide to pull it off. Leave it in the hole, just disconnect the vent hoses from it and hook them directly to the air box.

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
I ride at 6/9k feet was wondering the same thing about that valve deal... There are actually two nipples poking out of the airbox already, should I just disconnect them into those and unhook that valve deal? Will I need to re-jet also?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
You will have to rejet. Sounds like someone already had the ACCS disconnected so just plug your vent lines into the air box. Jet to 1998 specs for altitude and temperature.

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
You will have to rejet. Sounds like someone already had the ACCS disconnected so just plug your vent lines into the air box. Jet to 1998 specs for altitude and temperature.

What is the gain for disconnecting? If I don't gain anything why should I do the extra work?

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
My accs and others I know never worked well at altitude. Usually had a bog on the low end. I would pull it off or get the atacc if you want a good compensator and keep your box.

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
Thanks, I can't wait till I try it out. It would bog so bad if I let it idle for a few minutes, it would take so long to burn out all that extra fuel. I ported my track too and I am in the process of finding a rod to slip down my steering post and spot weld it to strengthen it.

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
Buy a 10 inch 3/8 rachet extension from Lowes. Fits nice and snug in a straight post. Grind off the female end enough to clear your bar clamp.

Grand idea but I am cutting off my sway bar and will try that first since the thing is so damn strong!! I've ruined 2 sawzaw blades and only got half way through it! So I'm gonna take the plasma cutter and just get'r'done

Premium Features