• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

removing stopper when installing pipes?

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I am helping my bother in law install some PSI twin pipes in his 99 rmk chassis. The lower pipe sits right on the bump stop/anti vibe piece that the stock pipe bracket sits on.. Does this need to be removed or can it be left on? Since the pipe sits right on it, will it get hot enough to just melt it?? I have an arrow pointed to the piece I am talking about. If anyone know on this, please let me know..

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
It depends on the pipe. If they sit in there nicely with the rubber bumper left in place, I would leave it on there. You can put a piece of heat tape on the bumper and it will be fine. I have done this per the pipe instructions on one of my sleds, just can't remember which setup that was. It is hell to get old and forgetfull :beer;

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
These are PSI twin pipes though and not SLP.. Not sure what the differences are in how they sit in there, but these sit directly on the stopper.. I guess I will just cover in heat tape and hope for the best..:D

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Ok Your bump stop will melt But if you dont want to damage your pipes cut down the bracket for it I just buy new bumps every year they are cheaper than pipes also I solved it with heat wrap.

DSCN1381.jpg

DSCN1382.jpg

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
what do you mean by cut down the bracket so the pipes dont get damaged?? If the bracket was cut how do you keep the stopper there?

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
what do you mean by cut down the bracket so the pipes dont get damaged?? If the bracket was cut how do you keep the stopper there?

If you don't use a stopper the bracket that holds the bump hits the pipe on hard landing and will put a hole in you pipes (experience).

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
If you remove the bracket the bulkhead will crack. The bracket also acts as a support for the corner of the bulkhead. I ran PSI twins on a 800, I just left the rubber bumper there and replaced it once a year.

Premium Features