• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 MM 700 No spark?

Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
Getting the sleds ready for the winter and the '01 MM won't start. After further inspection I found it isn't getting a spark. Any suggestions? Sled sat all summer in a garage...

Chris

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
First dubble check your key and kill switch positions. I know I have over looked it a time or two.
My '00 M-max has a hard time starting if it has sat for a month or two. I have found that cleaning the spark plug caps seams to help. I do not know why but even just twisting the cap wile still on the plug helps to make a better connection. But that is what help mine.

Good Luck.

A
Mar 24, 2009
Pierce,ID
ya like he said double check and make sure that your killswitch isn't down and that your key is on but what I normally do when if my Mountain Max sits for more than two months is put just a little bit of saw gas down the spark plug holes starts after about 3 pulls instead of like 20 or 30.

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
i know some people that have taken the airbox out to take the carbs off to rejet and what not and they forgot to hook up to the electrical stuff and plug the plugs back into the like CDI box...i would just make sure that everything is plugged in..i will keep thinking on other things but i would check that just for something else..good luck

M
Jan 23, 2009
Columbia Falls, MT
Embarrassed to say had same prob. with my 99'. Called dealer because had weak spark and each plug was different. Couldn't even see spark on one of the end cyl. They gave me some story that the spark ran in series and this was the cause. Never heard anything like this before. After plugs and checking and rechecking, finally found that I was out of gas. Gauge only reads once running. Plugs were wet from oilier still pumping oil. Added fuel and after several more pulls it ran. Funny how important gas is to the equation.

I have had a different problem with same sled though. Beginning of every year center cyl. drops and fouls plug when first started and run. If I replace that plug and get it out, open it up and run it, it's fine the rest of the season. Who knows?

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Check all wires and connections. We have had little critters chew up wires under handlebar pad. Wire connections can corrode and cause problems also. Had a cousin thinking he had a bad CDI box on a SRX and it turned out to be only a corrosion problem in one of the connecting plugs. Even a good mechanic thought that the box was the problem. If you have a set of new plugs or a set from a running machine that are the same, you could try swapping them out to be sure they are not wet fouled. You can do the fuel in the cylinder trick too. Have had to do that more than once to get a sled running. Just be cautious about amounts and spillage. If you get the machine running and its still not right, with machine running, pull one spark plug cap off at a time and then replace. Do this with each cylinder. Pay attention to how it sounds each time. If you have one cap that you take off that doesn't make as much of a difference in the running of the machine, then that cylinder, plug, cap, carb, etc is suspect. Caps will go bad at times, but I don't think that is your current problem. Good luck and hope you find the problem.

Last edited:
Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
Thanks for the help guys... We checked all connections, wires, disabled the TORS, etc... Couldn't find anything. Finally took it to the dealer and they're saying the stator is the main issue. They want $600 for the part and install plus another $120 for some other parts that tested "out of range". My question is: what is needed to replace the stator? That is one of the only things I haven't done to these sleds and i'm confident I can do it, just need some advice on what is needed, specs, etc... It would be great if I could save my folks a couple hundred bucks. Oh and it's 2002, not a 2001 by the way.

Thanks again,
Chris

Premium Features