• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fiannce's First Ride would love some Gear Tips

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Hello Ladies,

I am proud to say that I am taking my fiance out for her maiden snowmobile voyage out to the Togwotee Union Pass area for 4 days over New Years. We are coming out from MN. This is an exciting time for me as I have been an avid rider for 20 years and there is nothing I would love more than getting her into the sport! Absolutely NOTHING!

Now I have dropped my ego and realize the riding is about her! Getting her comfortable on the sled, keeping her warm, dry and happy. My plan is to take her on a "scenic" pace down the trails to some open meadows allowing her to get familiar with boondocking basics and comfortable on a sled. It is just going to be her and I so I will be there to encourage her, support her, and let her know it is ok to be stuck... it's part of the fun!

So here is my question what brand of base and mid layer would you recomend me getting her? We are getting the Arctiva Gem Pink Bibs and Pants because they are "cute" and warm and I am thinking of getting the FXR pink/black boots. Now I am a Klim guy, but I don't want to spend a small fortune decking her out with top of the line Klim, UnderArmor gear only to find out she isn't a big fan of the sport, but at the same time my baby needs to be warm, dry, and comfortable...that is the first priority. Put it this way I would spend the money before I would cut any corners, and I don't want to be the guy that introduces his wife/fiance to the sport with a bunch of hand me downs and outdated equipment.

Also does any have any feed back on Helmet Balaclavas combos?

Again thanks for your feedback... my guess is most of you are as passionate to introduce an newbie to the sport as I am, especially a loved one.

Cheers
Shawn

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Now I have dropped my ego and realize the riding is about her! Getting her comfortable on the sled, keeping her warm, dry and happy. My plan is to take her on a "scenic" pace down the trails to some open meadows allowing her to get familiar with boondocking basics and comfortable on a sled. It is just going to be her and I so I will be there to encourage her, support her, and let her know it is ok to be stuck... it's part of the fun!
Shawn - this is by far the MOST important part of introducing your gal to riding! So, kudos to you for starting out on the right foot!! :beer;:beer;

About the gear, as you know, layering is the best way to approach comfort when sledding. I ride with a both UA and Klim base layers. But most any wick-away, polyprolene (sp??) base will work. I'll bet you can find some cheaper options at Wal-Mart, Big 5, etc.

For boots the key elements for her will be warm, dry and comfortable. I've not worn FXR so I cannot comment. I'm wearing new Klim's and they are not the most comfortable - yet - but I know that they will be after I've worn them a few times and I'm fine with that - but I wouldn't want to put someone brand new to the sport into them. I rode for years in Sorel's and was always comfortable - but they do not offer the ankle support.

Good luck! Have fun and we'd love to see some pictures from your trip!!

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
shawn, get with lynne and i we have ALOT OF TIME OFF OVER XMAS/NEWYEAR.

we dont have to be back to work till the 6th of jan. we are trying to decide to go to canada, or tog. might be good for her to ride with another couple, and the guides.

anyone else going out with you?

kudos for you getting her involved. best advice i can give you...

put her in as good or better equipment than you have. makes her experience better and your life alot easier. yes it is expensive but do you really want to buy the stuff twice? that will only add to the expense.

ski

M

misssledderki

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 14, 2009
Flathead Valley, MT
www.youtube.com
I love my balaclava! But I also will wear a gator neck warmer. That extra protection for a neck helps me out. The boot I use and will go by are the HMK Voyager boots. They give great ankle support, are a good price, and come with hint of pink :) Make sure you go for a good pair of goggles. I know when I first started and you fog them up it will ruin a day. I invested in a pair of the 509 sno goggles and love them. They have the removeable nose guard and keep your face toasty and won't fog up! Hope this helps!! Wish her luck for me!!

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Check out Icebreaker. It truly is all I wear in winter, and even in summer. I have very sensitive skin and it is the only merino wool that doesn't itch me at all! It breathes, wicks moisture, doesn't smell (my fiance has tested this theory by wearing one item for a month!), layers easily, and is warm. I have the very thin layers to the thicker ones, about 20 shirts all together and a few leggings. I can easily layer the thinner to thicker shirts and take them off or put more on as needed. And they pack up small in a pack so are easy to carry around. I most often (during the winter) wear a thin Icebreaker tank, then a 200 weight shirt, then a 320 or 360 weight shirt and a jacket.

They're not cheap, but completely worth it! Steep and Cheap has deals on Icebreaker (and other merino clothing) a lot. And you can find some great sample deals on Ebay. When it's very cold I wear the leggings with a cheap pair of fleece pj bottoms over them and am quite warm. I also use Icebreakers balaclava, I think in the 260 weight. They have a warmer one also. It's warm enough unless it's very very cold, and thin and comfortable.

It's kind of like an addiction, we love their clothing so much. And they're the most comfortable pieces I own. I wear them everywhere, not just sledding. They have nice looking clothes, and it's all very functional.
This site has good deals as well.
http://www.mammothgear.com/

Last edited:
M
Nov 15, 2009
Twin Lakes, Idaho
:DHey Shawn,

Kudo's to you for going that extra step to make sure her first ride is the best it can be. There are alot of really good options out there for you to choose from that won't cost you a ton of $ and still keep your gal nice and warm.

For under layering look into RU Outside. I had Klim under layering (prior to them making them more for women) but they did not work out as they were huge. I had the owner of the store where we purchase our gear suggest the RU Outside product and they are great! Lightweight, breathable and very comfortable for layering. Bonus...they are very reasonable in price.

If it's real cold, have her add a simple pair of fleece pants under her sledding pants. You can find them at most sporting good stores, Walmart, etc.

Top layering is the RU Outside for the base, motorcycle jersey, and a fleece vest under a shell jacket. I also purchased a really reasonable priced pair of Gortex gloves from a local skii shop for the really cold rides and HMK makes an awesome pair of small riding gloves perfect for the ladies. Hopefully her sled has hand warmers!

The only other thing I can suggest is not to skimp on the boots. If the feet and hands are cold, you're in trouble.

Good luck and I hope we get to read about her first trip out on this site. Maybe the post will be from her! :D

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I would first off say everyone is right on the money with their gear recommendations.

I would say the next step is to make sure the sled she is riding is set up for her. I've found bar height to be critical, my wife while strong lacks the brute strength of a guy, her bars are higher than mine, but it gives her the leverage she needs.

What type of sled will she be riding? Each model has its own tips and tricks that the ladies can give insight on as to what needs changing for her happiness. It doesn't matter if she is the warmest girl on sled she can't control, a lack of confidence will torpedo the ship just as fast as bad gear would.

Last edited:
S
Dec 5, 2007
Hey shawn, don't forget the chest protector!!!

As an official tester from our last trip out west with that hit to the handle bars.......its a necessary piece of equipment.

I like my tekvest but have the 661 pressure shirt ( for mx/supermoto) and a knox back/chest combo for the sport bike on the track. I like the full plate in front...not the zipper in the middle. I think the full plate distributes the force more equally and helps prevent trauma to the chest.

Hopefully we can get together and ride those days. It always helps to have another female around for moral support if nothing else.

I also have a pink or a grey HJC helmet she could borrow to try (my mx helmet). I think they are a small, tons of different goggle combinations and several balaclavas. I bought the new klim underlayer, it has pink trim, fits great and was not that expensive (around $32 a piece at the local dealer.

Last edited:
X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I would first off say everyone is right on the money with their gear recommendations.

I would say the next step is to make sure the sled she is riding is set up for her. I've found bar height to be critical, my wife while strong lacks the brute strength of a guy, her bars are higher than mine, but it gives her the leverage she needs.

What type of sled will she be riding? Each model has its own tips and tricks that the ladies can give insight on as to what needs changing for her happiness. It doesn't matter if she is the warmest girl on sled she can't control, a lack of confidence will torpedo the ship just as fast as bad gear would.

I think I am just going to hang out in the Powder Room from now on.... this little sub category area is great! No manly smartbutt testosterone remarks just pure mother like love. :) These are the most lengthy well thought out caring posts I have every read in one snowmobiling thread ever. Thank you ladies and skidooboy

Right now we are borrowing a 07 Phazer MTX. I wanted something that could be easily boondockable, electric start, lower on power (I didn't say that) and wasn't stinky. (She has a sensitive nose and thinks I am a little weird when I start sled up mid summer and bake in the aroma of 2 stroke toxins... put it this way her idea of a romantic evening wouldn't be a bottle of fine Cabernet, lavender bubble bath, and the warm cozy glow of a 40:1 synthetic Amsoil Votive). I think the Phazer's stock handle bar height should be good for her at 5' 8"... but it's been interesting reading some of the Powder Room's post regarding ladies bar height vs mens upper back strength, vs the ladies butt boondock style... "just toss a hip in it". I would have never though and it makes a lot of sense!

Any tips on the helmets?

Cheers
Shawn

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I think I am just going to hang out in the Powder Room from now on.... this little sub category area is great! No manly smartbutt testosterone remarks just pure mother like love. :) These are the most lengthy well thought out caring posts I have every read in one snowmobiling thread ever. Thank you ladies and skidooboy

Right now we are borrowing a 07 Phazer MTX. I wanted something that could be easily boondockable, electric start, lower on power (I didn't say that) and wasn't stinky. (She has a sensitive nose and thinks I am a little weird when I start sled up mid summer and bake in the aroma of 2 stroke toxins... put it this way her idea of a romantic evening wouldn't be a bottle of fine Cabernet, lavender bubble bath, and the warm cozy glow of a 40:1 synthetic Amsoil Votive). I think the Phazer's stock handle bar height should be good for her at 5' 8"... but it's been interesting reading some of the Powder Room's post regarding ladies bar height vs mens upper back strength, vs the ladies butt boondock style... "just toss a hip in it". I would have never though and it makes a lot of sense!

Any tips on the helmets?

Cheers
Shawn

On the sled, I would try and get her riding it in MN before the trip. The phazers we have encountered off trail seemed to struggle quite a bit. I think the combo of the 14" wide track (minimal floatation) and max of 60hp at elevation with the added weight of the 4 stroke might have her at a disadvantage. Have you looked into renting an XP 600 with the Etec engine or a Polaris RMK 144/155 with the Cleanfire engine? Both of those engines are squeaky clean, but offer more power, lighter weight and are easy/comfortable platforms to learn on. You are near the Line Shack, they rent Ski-doo, and Togwotee Mtn Lodge rents Polaris and Cat if I remember right, they are 25 miles from union pass if my memory serves me right.

On the helmet, I suggest a day trip to Dennis Kirk in Rush City, have her try on tons of helmets and find one that fits her head perfectly. My wife went out west on her first trip with a full face, it was dissasmbled on that trip to accomodate goggles, when we returned home she purchased a new motorcross style helmet because of the fogging issue she had with the full face in the powder.

Last edited:
X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
On the sled, I would try and get her riding it in MN before the trip. The phazers we have encountered off trail seemed to struggle quite a bit. I think the combo of the 14" wide track (minimal floatation) and max of 60hp at elevation with the added weight of the 4 stroke might have her at a disadvantage. Have you looked into renting an XP 600 with the Etec engine or a Polaris RMK 144/155 with the Cleanfire engine? Both of those engines are squeaky clean, but offer more power, lighter weight and are easy/comfortable platforms to learn on. You are near the Line Shack, they rent Ski-doo, and Togwotee Mtn Lodge rents Polaris and Cat if I remember right, they are 25 miles from union pass if my memory serves me right.

On the helmet, I suggest a day trip to Dennis Kirk in Rush City, have her try on tons of helmets and find one that fits her head perfectly. My wife went out west on her first trip with a full face, it was dissasmbled on that trip to accomodate goggles, when we returned home she purchased a new motorcross style helmet because of the fogging issue she had with the full face in the powder.

I don't plan on running her in too steep of pow. Mainly open meadows. We have ridden with my buddy who owns the thing a couple times.... to me it's like a little tractor, if it becomes an issue we will rent her something. She is a little sensitive to power and speed so I would prefer her on something underpowered rather than something like a 800 or 600 or something. I will stay at her pace so she doesn't feel behind or like she is slower than us and i won't take her anywhere her first couple days that I think will push her too much.

Cheers
Shawn

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Been doing the same the last year and a half.. looks like you're on the right path.
Keep her warm and having fun.. everyone is different on gear, kinda trial and error (helmet types, etc....)
Big thing is making it fun for her and hope the snowmobile bug sets in. Ride at her pace, (don't take off with the guys) and give encouragement (but don't nitpick every wrong move or weight shift).
We usually get out for a lone ride together during a weekend and that helps by not feeling intimidated by other riders and builds confidence. Things worked great last season and now she has the bug, and that was on a 136" Renegade... this season she gets my 144" Summit (i got a new M8 :D)

oh and let her see you get stuck, fall off, pull a dumb move, etc...... she'll feel better when she gets stuck :face-icon-small-hap

Good luck! It's all worth every penny when you have a partner that loves it too....heck, they'll probably get better than us and be posting on the Powder Room before we know it :eek:

M
Aug 29, 2005
Arvada, Colorado
If you do have the opportunity to have another female in the group who can ride would be really beneficial to her. We do ride differently than you guys do, and by having her follow and mimick what the other person does, makes it easier, and she will learn lots! It is always more fun to share a great day with a small group, than just two. Sorry to say that!

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If you do have the opportunity to have another female in the group who can ride would be really beneficial to her. We do ride differently than you guys do, and by having her follow and mimick what the other person does, makes it easier, and she will learn lots! It is always more fun to share a great day with a small group, than just two. Sorry to say that!

We have anther couple that we will be riding with on day 2 and 3. She is an excellent rider and I am sure will be there to support and give pointers on Lady's style. I think it will be just her and I for day one so she can get confident with the basic's and not feel like she is holding anyone back, that is unless Eric and Lynn just want to Play around in a Meadow for the day keeping it easy....

and yes I will be sure to do something boneheaded to boost her ego.

Shawn

P
You can pick up some UA cold gear at the Albertville outlet mall for about $30 for a top so you might want to check that out. I also wear klim boots and love them but my husband had a pair of fxr boots he wore for a few years and liked them other then I don't think the were super water proof. Also pack her a bag with something to drink and a snack because that always keeps me happy:)

Pack her a change in gloves, a hat, scarf, hand warmers, and other various stuff she can change around incase some of her gear gets wet or isn't working for her.

Have fun my husband humbeled himself last year and found the trip is way more fun for us both if I'm happy:)

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
You can pick up some UA cold gear at the Albertville outlet mall for about $30 for a top so you might want to check that out. I also wear klim boots and love them but my husband had a pair of fxr boots he wore for a few years and liked them other then I don't think the were super water proof. Also pack her a bag with something to drink and a snack because that always keeps me happy:)

Pack her a change in gloves, a hat, scarf, hand warmers, and other various stuff she can change around incase some of her gear gets wet or isn't working for her.

Have fun my husband humbeled himself last year and found the trip is way more fun for us both if I'm happy:)

UA for $30 that is a good deal! I think we have her base layer down.... My only concern is her Mid layer. We have some good stuff but It might be a little light if it's really cold. She has been wearing it around the house and says it's the warmest stuff she has ever worn. If anything I have some good Mid layer Klim stuff she can wear off my back and I will just bear the cold or I can run down to Jackson and buy some stuff. We bought a bunch of name brand base and Mid layer stuff in the Active Section at TJ Max. I was very surprised to see what they had for women. I think i have her all set up for the most part.

The best part about this is she has always been against me riding to much... mainly because i spend 1 month away from her in the winter... but for this trip she has been getting very excited about... she has been talking to her girl friends about it and everything. I think it helps that we are going to the Mountains to ride in a beautiful area rather than me just introducing her to the sport on the trails around here. We all look forward to a vacation.

Cheers
Shawn

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Don't forget to pack a bunch of hand and toe warmers. You can get a case at Costco for cheap and they're very nice to have if your hands get too cold. My feet sweat when they get cold and kill the toe warmers so I plan on buying battery heated insoles. But, they work pretty well if they don't get wet. Even if you have to stop and change socks and put some in your boots, they are very handy.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Don't forget to pack a bunch of hand and toe warmers. You can get a case at Costco for cheap and they're very nice to have if your hands get too cold. My feet sweat when they get cold and kill the toe warmers so I plan on buying battery heated insoles. But, they work pretty well if they don't get wet. Even if you have to stop and change socks and put some in your boots, they are very handy.

We got her a pair of Scott Gloves at TJ Max for like $30 it was a good deal. They are fuzzy on the inside and seem very warm and they have the little pouch for the hand warmer so i bought a 20 pack of those things for her :) I am also going to her her a pair of mittens. I have been eyeing these Outdoor Research expedition mittens that they retail for $185 from a place for $113. I don't think it is humanly possible to get cold in these things LOL... they are the real deal!!!

Cheers
Shawn

Last edited:
Premium Features