• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's be honest girls, does the super steep hills scare you??

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
I'm just wondering if any other girls out there that ride the mountains get that sinking feeling in their chest when they ride in the really steep?? Usually for me, it's the first couple hills of the day that are the worst, until I get my courage up, and then I'm ok for the rest of the day. I think that's where my name "somefear" comes from!! lol I think I'm still a big chicken but I love climbing and trying to beat my last highmark. I have the same fears every time I go out though, and can't seem to keep them under wraps. Riding with a whole bunch of guys sometimes doesn't help either, it would be nice to have other women to challenge on the steep stuff. I find alot of positive self talk helps me remain calm....What do you ladies do to remain cool under pressure?:):):):)

Dec 30, 2008
Ramsey, MN
I live for the moments like that, that take my breath away - reminds me that I'm still alive.... I am pushing 50'ish

I know it's gonna be a good hill, no matter this size, the high mark, the tingle I get deep inside - if the breath I take makes me stop long enough to think... What the Hell are you THINKING and I still GOFORIT :D

M
Aug 29, 2005
Arvada, Colorado
For avalanche safety, you always want to do some carving on smaller hills to check for safety first. See what the snow does there before dangering your groups lives before jumping to the big hills.

I ride with guys only, gotta go where they go. But we do practice safety first. You can always explain this to the guys rather than use your fear to build up to the bigones :D

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
I'm not afraid to say it...I'm a chicken when it comes to steep hills! That's my biggest drawback :eek:

I am not a fan of heights, and falling down the hill scares the bagizus out of me.

I had a bad experience as a child in a truck going over an embankment and since then even in a car if its a hill I look down with butterflies in my stomach..then you add the whole avalanche danger it makes it worse.

It's something I'm working on, but I don't think it'll ever be something I look forward to doing :face-icon-small-hap

F

foxyrmk

Nov 26, 2007
Milton-Freewater, Oregon
myspace
I think that fear will be always in us, I just try to turn it around into excitement, and now it feels more of a rush for me. I haven't climb major hills yet, but working on it.

It's the coming down that scrare's the cr*p out of me, I have rolled and wreck on my sled when I was younger going down hills.

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Couple years ago, my first season, I was scared of the big hills. Now, cuz there are so many of them to get to the areas we ride, the hills don't scare me so much. However, when it comes to just highmarking, my fear is more in avy's than the climb and decent...my confidence in my abilities has helped me overcome my general fear of the steep climbs, but my confidence in mother nature playing by MY rules isn't as high. ;)

J
It's the coming down that scrare's the cr*p out of me.

I couldn't agree more! While most decents don't scare me it's when the snow is slick and ready to roll when it's the worst. These conditions give you no means of stopping.. just ride it out and breathe at the bottom.. The 1 hill that I despise coming down is the long, steep one in keystone right before the goat trail (if you are riding out).. and it even has a dip at the bottom just to completely throw you. Eff :eek:

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
The first hills of the day are the ones that make my heart stop. But once I've been up a couple, my fear subsides - a little bit. It's always a rush for me and I cannot stop and think about it too long, I just have to keep following the people in the lead. When the climb is over and I do stop....my legs and arms are shaking like a earthquake! LOL!! I don't highmark. Maybe I will someday, but for now, I go over hills during cross country travel, or when goofing off in play area....but I go up to the top and then come down. No turning out mid-hill for me. :)

H
Jun 25, 2009
Eagle River, AK
Your heart gets pounding
Eyes are watering
Sled is rumbling
Down you go...

Cant stop now
Deep and steep
You let out a screetch

Once you hit the bottom,
You think "No Problem"
Horray! You made it yet AGAIN!! :D

Anyways....
It's the coming down that get's me (sometimes) too. I can ride the mountains, in and out of bowls, all day long.... but when it's time to come home, I always joke with the guys about "crying" like a little girl on the way back down "the front side." LMAO It tends to relax me. BUUUUT... I still talk to myself 85% of the time, no matter what the terrain. Someone's gotta crack the jokes.... errrr.... maybe gimme a little push! hahaha

On that note, I prettymuch have ONLY rode with the guys too.... This season is gonna rock with all my new girly riding friends!! :D

M

misssledderki

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 14, 2009
Flathead Valley, MT
www.youtube.com
Ya know its not the going up that terrifies me, its the feeling of coming down. This is my second year and I make the boys wait for me when its time for me to go down, I put ski breaks on both of my skiies and hold on tight!!

M
Nov 15, 2009
Twin Lakes, Idaho
Nothing wrong with alittle fear. I think it keeps things in perspective. I don't highmark but we climb alot of hills to get where we are going and coming down is not my favorite part. We have a big group and everyone is very supportive so that helps. Ride smart and stay safe on them big ones. Afterall at the end of the day it's all about having fun!:eek:

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
Yes coming down is the scary part...whether voluntarily or not! :p

I do hope to get more practice in a controlled environment on the hills this year...that way when I'm faced with a hill I HAVE to do, it won't be so bad....practice seems to make everything easier! :D

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Your heart gets pounding
Eyes are watering
Sled is rumbling
Down you go...

Cant stop now
Deep and steep
You let out a screetch

Once you hit the bottom,
You think "No Problem"
Horray! You made it yet AGAIN!! :D

Anyways....
It's the coming down that get's me (sometimes) too. I can ride the mountains, in and out of bowls, all day long.... but when it's time to come home, I always joke with the guys about "crying" like a little girl on the way back down "the front side." LMAO It tends to relax me. BUUUUT... I still talk to myself 85% of the time, no matter what the terrain. Someone's gotta crack the jokes.... errrr.... maybe gimme a little push! hahaha

On that note, I prettymuch have ONLY rode with the guys too.... This season is gonna rock with all my new girly riding friends!! :D

coming down the front side of turny is a rush huh?..nothing like not being able to see whats there till your way over commited....ever ride Eureka?..some good decents there as well.....

H
Jun 25, 2009
Eagle River, AK
coming down the front side of turny is a rush huh?..nothing like not being able to see whats there till your way over commited....ever ride Eureka?..some good decents there as well.....

Yep that sounds about right... the part I hate most, is the days the trail gets a bit Icey and ya feel like ya only have two options; 1) miss the 90 and fly off the cliff or 2)go too much and fall in that Huge hole! hahaha ...knock on wood... Never had any probs like that, but it's the thought that counts. Oh and the breaking bumps can get the best of ya, if ya get caught up in them. LOL :rolleyes:

Really though, it's not too bad, once you get passed your head.... and that adrenaline and great riding every time is DEFINATELY WORTH IT!!!

Never rode Eureka in the winter... maybe I'll get lucky this year!! :)

S

Soccerd6

Nov 21, 2007
Marysville, WA
yep, it's the coming down that sends my heart racing.... but there are the times when I sit at the bottem of the hill and have a conversation with myself - generally ends with the word "pansy".....

but as others have said, a bit of fear is good. I don't EVER want to become complacent about riding!

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
I do not like them Narrow chute ascents, or the big mountain hill climbing that goes straight up. .

I like to leave them to the guys that have the big turbo’s…

I don’t mind going up regular normal hills but not the kind you see Brad story doing on his big bad turbo's.

And yet some days you just have to try your hands at it. It's not the going up that terrifies me inside but, it’s the coming down the hill's that I hate..

I just dream of those epic winter days of riding. The kind of days where every day is better than the last. Winter storm that won't stop dumping,. Deep snow mountain riding at its best. Carving at its best...and mountains in every direction and nary a track in sight. There are two and a half to three feet of fresh, untracked powder covering a decent base with bluebird skies overhead. The conditions are absolutely perfect for a day of sledding. I love ripping powder in the tree! My husband always says, If you can’t ride with the BIG BOYS leave it on the trailer. So I guess that’s my thoughts on hill's and riding.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I do not like them Narrow chute ascents, or the big mountain hill climbing that goes straight up. .

I like to leave them to the guys that have the big turbo’s…

I don’t mind going up regular normal hills but not the kind you see Brad story doing on his big bad turbo's.

And yet some days you just have to try your hands at it. It's not the going up that terrifies me inside but, it’s the coming down the hill's that I hate..

I just dream of those epic winter days of riding. The kind of days where every day is better than the last. Winter storm that won't stop dumping,. Deep snow mountain riding at its best. Carving at its best...and mountains in every direction and nary a track in sight. There are two and a half to three feet of fresh, untracked powder covering a decent base with bluebird skies overhead. The conditions are absolutely perfect for a day of sledding. I love ripping powder in the tree! My husband always says, If you can’t ride with the BIG BOYS leave it on the trailer. So I guess that’s my thoughts on hill's and riding.

So who all do you ride with then?...:D
tell skinner I said hi....:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features