• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 800HO oil pump fell off, wore down female end of gear underneath crank shaft

windsock

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Vail, CO
www.ratzco.blogspot.com
My friend has an 03 800HO summit just like mine. We burned his sled down. Discovered the problem when we saw that the oil pump was just lying there loose. It has come off. The screws were gone. At first, we thought, just re-do the top end, get new screws for the oil pump, put that on and be done. But. It looks like when the screws holding the oil pump came off, as the screws were probably loosening up over a period of time, as the pump slowly came out further and further, the pump tab, little black tab (first pic) wore down the female end, aluminum? (second pic) of where the tab on the oil pump connects with the drive shaft or gears from the water pump (I think).

Need Water pump/oil pump shaft?

Figure we need to take the bottom cover off of crank/engine case to get at it.

Anyone have advice, scematics, or torque specs of when we have to put it all back together ?

DSC00046.JPG DSC00047.JPG DSC00042.JPG

Last edited:
F
Dec 20, 2007
You can replace that water/oil pump jackshaft for the tune of about $200, plus depending on how hot it got it may have stripped the teflon gear on that shaft anyway. Be careful if you split your case halfs (if you do), youre better off having the inboard crankseals replaces. Went through that prob. on my 600 engine where the seals looked great but about 50 miles after the rebuild it distroyed the seals from what i assume was being torqued just slightly off from where that were before.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Tear it down.......

..........and go through the entire thing if the oil pump fell off while the sled was in use. No oil pump.......no oil to the lower rod bearings, wrist pin bearings, etc......I'd split the cases and do it right.

Premium Features