• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't find 12V DC on 98 670 X

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
I am hooking up a boondocker nitrous kit on my 98 670 Summit X. I cannot for the life of me find anything that runs on DC on the sled. I have a factory wiring diagram. Yellow wires on the sled are power either AC or DC according to the manual but I can' find one of them that is DC. Do I have to add a battery for the solenoid....

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
and you won't unless you install a rectifier, yellow and yellow/black is the lighting coil power (lighting coil powers all the electrical, except ignition) roughly 12 VAC. I would just install a simple rectifier for the solenoid (I am not familiar with Boondockers, only Nitrous Express). I hope this helps.

Is there a certian kind of rectifier/circuit to go from 12 VAC to 12 VDC. Can I get that an auto parts store or radio shack type place.

That's what a rectifier does. It's a group of Diodes that make the AC into DC. Cheap and easy to install. Just go to any local electronic parts store, and ask for a Bridge rectifier. Just 1 diode will make a form of DC, But a bridge makes the smoothest form of it. Just one diode, your No2 coil can possibly chatter, leading to nasty results. I have the same No2 system on my 670 :D Havn;t used yet, but gona be a blast!!!!

Square_Bridge_Rectifier.jpg

$
Here this should help. I made a rectifier on my 97 Summit to run a digital temp gauge. All the parts are from Radio Shack. It cost about 10 bucks total and gives me a constant 11.99 VDC. I just used a piece of cardboard as a breadboard, and 2 water bottles cut in half and siliconed together to make a cheap waterproof enclosure that I glued up under my hood right by the gauges.

Don't just put a rectifier in there all by itself for a number of different reasons or you'll end up replacing your solenoid in short order. Number one, these coils put out anywhere from 11 to 15ish VAC depending on whether you're on the throttle or not and all that rectifier will do is change AC to DC not regulate it. Number two, the AC that you'll be picking up is fairly 'dirty' or noisy or w/e you wanna call it, which is where the capacitor comes in. It helps take the output from the rectifier and smooth out the signal. Plus a capacitor is a little energy storage device, so when you let off the throttle and your power input drops to 11V, the energy stored in that cap will help make up the difference. Last, the voltage regulator will take the 14 VDC or w/e is coming out of that rectifier and cap, and make sure you're getting the steady 12V that the solenoid or gauge is designed for without any voltage spikes as you are on and off the throttle.

Here's the rectifier
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062584

Cap
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102513

Voltage Regulator
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062600

Here's a few pics of how I made mine. It's been working perfectly for 2 seasons now.

RectifierWiring.jpg

011408_00261.jpg

011408_00262.jpg

011408_00341.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
That's what a rectifier does. It's a group of Diodes that make the AC into DC. Cheap and easy to install. Just go to any local electronic parts store, and ask for a Bridge rectifier. Just 1 diode will make a form of DC, But a bridge makes the smoothest form of it. Just one diode, your No2 coil can possibly chatter, leading to nasty results. I have the same No2 system on my 670 :D Havn;t used yet, but gona be a blast!!!!

How are you planning to run the nitrous. Are you going to run it through the DPM vent or delete the DPM and run it straight through the carb vents.

How are you planning to run the nitrous. Are you going to run it through the DPM vent or delete the DPM and run it straight through the carb vents.

DPM, what DPM Mwahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously tho, can run it either way. Instructions from Boondocker.com...........
http://www.boondocker.ca/instructions/snow/skidoo/Skidoo ZX man 2000.pdf

Premium Features