• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled Mtn Tamer setup help??

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I am sure there must be something on this topic but I cannot find it.

I rode my turbo for the first time yesterday and while climbing in five feet of powder the sled came all the way back and fell on top of me. I have the timbersled mountain tamer rear skid but I have to find a way besides the shims to get the skis on the snow while under boost. Does anybody have a good setup for the timbersled skid that works? ie; limiter strap position, how many shims, PSI in the fox floats. I understand Timbersled has an upgrade kit available for better control, has anybody purchased this and does it help?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Call timbersled

I rode my turbo for the first time yesterday and while climbing in five feet of powder the sled came all the way back and fell on top of me. I have the timbersled mountain tamer rear skid but I have to find a way besides the shims to get the skis on the snow while under boost. Does anybody have a good setup for the timbersled skid that works? ie; limiter strap position, how many shims, PSI in the fox floats. I understand Timbersled has an upgrade kit available for better control, has anybody purchased this and does it help?

I would call timbersled. They will help you get it setup. They have instructions on the website as well to how to set it for different hps. etc.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
stock rails? or straight?

i only run 12#, but don't have the "scary, coming over on me" feeling like you explained.
i have limiter strap max loose (may tighten that a notch or 2 this season).
pretty sure i have the rear shock at 150#, unsure on the front.
and, i have a pic of my shim setup.

02newrearswingarminstalled.jpg

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I know this will sound like bad mouthing but this is the biggest weakness of the timbersled. You can improve it but at big boost it has problems with controlling wheelies

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Here what I run in the steep stuff
limiter strap sucked up to second hole
3/4 inch spacers,anymore and it affects the coupling of the skid.
110lbs front shock
185 lbs back shock
I weight 250 with my gear on so depending on your weight you may be able to run less psi in your shocks.

twsandrew look at some of the stuff climbmax (ts 7)has climb with his timbersled skid, they do work when set up

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
stock rails? or straight?

QUOTE]

162 x 2.5 Camoplast Extreme with IceAge rails. I do not as many shims in there as you do but will try adding. I have 130 PSI in the rear shock and will step it up a few PSI and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice! I am 170 pounds.

I will also check out Timbersled's website and see what they say!

Edit: This is what Timbersled says....the only thing that I have is different is maybe a little less PSI in the rear shock.

Slide shims: ½” to ¾” shim on bottom & ¼” shim on top
Front shock: Lower to Middle range of air pressures in forward hole
Back shock: Upper range of air pressures in rearward hole
Limiter strap: 5th hole down, using optional end hole on strap

Last edited:
S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
My Timberskid worked good when I ran 12psi. Still worked pretty good at 17psi except on long pulls where you had to stay in it and so much lighter and better than stock, LOL. If you remount the shocks like they are saying, you will want the stronger shafts in the update kit. We have put 6 or 7 of these upgrades in and the skid is way stiffer. Timbersled is claiming 30% and it seems to be. Can't try it till I get to the mountains but I think 2 of the updates we did are going this weekend. Someone out there must have tried it already?? Setup is a huge part of it.

Premium Features