• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old School Phazer extended cables

C
Sep 18, 2003
Keenesburg CO
I'm working on my son's old Phazer (twin PSI's, Boysen reeds, flat slides, 136 with skid set down and back...) to get it ready for the year. He wants some taller bars (don't blame him) so I'm going to do away with the pod on the bars, put a light on the hood, maybe add a windshield of some kind. My question is, is there someone making longer throttle and brake cables? I've used the Powermadd extenders in the past and prefer not to use them.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
I ran phazers for years. The last one I built, I made a pivot-style mount on the top of the steering post. I cut the stock flat-mount off, and welded on a knurled piece of tube stock w/ gusseting. I found that it made finding a riser block easier, and gave me more adjustment options. I then installed a 6" 'Doo riser block, along with a set of Fly Racing ATV bars, that had a nice bend to them and just the right width. This was one of the best mods I ever did to this sled. With careful routing, I was able to run my flatslide cables and brake cable without extending them. The brake cable is the one that seemed a little short, but with some work, I got it to work. I had a pic of the set-up, but lost it on my old computer.

I never even bothered mounting a light. Only guage I ran was a twin egt for my psi twins. I made a simple mount for it on the riser block.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
What year sled?? lol Pick one! It was originally an '89, but had parts and pieces from about a dozen other Yami's spanning from the early eighties to the mid-nineties.

But, if you are interested in what body style....it was the early 1st gen phazer chassis.

T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
I used a front brake cable off an old drum braked suzuki dirt bike chassis that was my nephews that he abandoned. YOu can pretty much use a cable like this off any old dirt bike hit up your local bike boneyard and find one. www.bentbike.net is our local bike salvage. I'll put up a pic of my riser setup in a little bit, I just cut the existing T-post and slipped a piece of tube over with a slight bend in it to get the bars forward and welded it back together. On the other Phazer I cut the bars off and turned them into a T to put a polaris 4" riser on and polaris bars, but that broke.

Last edited:
T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
Ok here are the pics of the riser and cable setup on one of my '91 phazers

P1050268.jpg

P1050269.jpg

P1050270.jpg

Its not the prettiest setup-but it works well. Maybe this season I will get around to extending all my wires too!

Last edited:
Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
That WAS a long time ago. I kinda went crazy for a few years with 670's. Now ride an XP.

I finally gave up on Phazers. Ol' Red was light, awesome in the powder, and hauled some serious rear, but it hurt too darn much to ride! Called a buddy last year, told him to bring his truck. He backed up to my shop, and I threw virtually ALL of my phazer stuff in the back. Now I am trying to do the same thing with my pile of 670 parts. I STILL have those Bender cylinders BTW. Had a nasty burn-down, and now they need to go .060, from a current .040. I have them with a set of FMF reed-blocks if interested.

How did you guys end up liking those twins? I thought they were a blast lake/trail riding, but found that a single Bender/Aaen worked alot better for powder/hillclimbing/boondocking.

Last year for my boy (8), I built him up an Ovation. Mounted a single 38mm carb on it, did some port work, shaved the heads, and installed a 121" phazer skid w/a 1" 121 track. He loves it. Aaen makes a pipe for the Ovation, but I don't want to pay the $450 that they want for one!

I've got a '93 Exciter SX I am going to play with this year for a project.

Premium Features