• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turboing a 880, with mild port timing

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
we will be trying a new project on a BB this year, we have mild port timing done on this motor with mild crankcase porting, plan on runnning stock compression ratio, our goal is to run around the 8 to 12lbs of boost, hoping to run a mix of pump and av gas

have talked with a few turbo dealers, lots of info out there, but still trying to decide on what way to go

is there others out there that have done this, will it work or not??

thought of doing the kit myself, but a bit leary, local dealer will be trying one as well

upgraded skid will be done by racers edge, and plans to have a 174 camo underneath

have a few buddies running the turbo nitro this year so i feel the BB NEEDS BOOST

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Well, heres how I see it. If you can maintain ring seal, the thing is going to be an absolute animal! The big bore will make it rip off the bottom and turbo is going to make it have unreal pull on top.

But, you will need to take special care in watching for cylinder deflection and barrelling I believe. The factory Doo cylinder is made out an extremely soft aluminum that doesnt have a ton of resistance to flex. Then, when that cylinder is hogged out, its strength is compromised further. The 880 bore gets out extremely close to the inner sealing ring as well I think. That could also become an issue with the increased cylinder pressures.

My thoughts are that if you can keep the bore square, you will have a hotrod setup on your hands!

Jake

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I hope you would give me the opportunity to help with the clutching challenge of getting the turbo to run most awesome.

Fred I hope you'll give me a shout to help out. I have done a lot of different challenges since you being one of my first bb dudes way back when.

Joey

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Fred, as we discussed on the phone, these are my major concerns. I don't want to sell you something that I personally have not tested and end up having issues with it. I have to keep my reputation in mind. You can give me a call and we can discuss the issue more if you like.

Dave

Well, heres how I see it. If you can maintain ring seal, the thing is going to be an absolute animal! The big bore will make it rip off the bottom and turbo is going to make it have unreal pull on top.

But, you will need to take special care in watching for cylinder deflection and barrelling I believe. The factory Doo cylinder is made out an extremely soft aluminum that doesnt have a ton of resistance to flex. Then, when that cylinder is hogged out, its strength is compromised further. The 880 bore gets out extremely close to the inner sealing ring as well I think. That could also become an issue with the increased cylinder pressures.

My thoughts are that if you can keep the bore square, you will have a hotrod setup on your hands!

Jake

C
Dec 16, 2007
I'm looking at doing this kit for my XP. Whats the best big bore to use and dose any one have true dyno numbers. and any dyno numbers with the turbo to.

Thanks

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
I'm looking at doing this kit for my XP. Whats the best big bore to use and dose any one have true dyno numbers. and any dyno numbers with the turbo to.

Thanks

Why not just crank up the boost on a stock bore? I would guess you would go from 220ish to 250ish running the same amount of boost. That's 30 more hp you can get that with about 3 more lbs of boost.

R

Revanator

experience from on the snow

I think you have a good start on building that motor. I tell ya what, I have a 860 with twin aerochargers and the thing is unreal! Its powerful, reliable as stock, and does have hardly any lag. Best thing is, I took it out 2 days ago and did nothin but put pump gas in it and pull the cord. Hadn't run it since last april, same plugs, fueling and just one pull. Ran hard all day, I wouldnt run WOT for more than 5 seconds just because of the pump gas. run 70/30 race fuel and different story

Here's what is is... first off it was built by Turbo AL, 800HO bored to 860 ported, timing advanced, and yamaha watercraft pistons. AAFE pipe to twin 53's, and thats where there's a difference. Same as diesel performance... more volume of air and less pressure to make more power... and lower EGT's.

I've made several back to back 60+ second WOT pulls up chutes, and it hasnt ever failed. Would build another... but the 1200 XR is calling my name, probably wont ever get rid of this build, it is seriously a one of a kind.

S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
I think you have a good start on building that motor. I tell ya what, I have a 860 with twin aerochargers and the thing is unreal! Its powerful, reliable as stock, and does have hardly any lag. Best thing is, I took it out 2 days ago and did nothin but put pump gas in it and pull the cord. Hadn't run it since last april, same plugs, fueling and just one pull. Ran hard all day, I wouldnt run WOT for more than 5 seconds just because of the pump gas. run 70/30 race fuel and different story

Here's what is is... first off it was built by Turbo AL, 800HO bored to 860 ported, timing advanced, and yamaha watercraft pistons. AAFE pipe to twin 53's, and thats where there's a difference. Same as diesel performance... more volume of air and less pressure to make more power... and lower EGT's.

I've made several back to back 60+ second WOT pulls up chutes, and it hasnt ever failed. Would build another... but the 1200 XR is calling my name, probably wont ever get rid of this build, it is seriously a one of a kind.

als 860 is the 888 or 880 and the funny thing is thats engine is out of an 02 summit the twin turbo that is on that came off a stock 800. the guy ran 3000 miles and no problems but on that als 860 it is a killer combo it funny to see that 136 out climb a 166
youll love the xr but if you get one and ever need to sell that one i want it back buddy:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

R

Revanator

Haha, Matt, your first in line to get that thing back! Its by far the most reliable, powerful, fun sled around. OH HEY! did one of those turn around and come back down in the same track! was pullin up thru the trees and then it came to a point and I had about 10ft to turn around. So just pinned the throttle and stood on those awesome footbars, and it stood up vertical and wrapped it around the tree. about a 2ft radius turn around! what was priceless is the faces down at the bottom of WTH just happened? how did he just do that! lol AWESOME SETUP!

T

turboxp

May 13, 2008
not where i sled
How are you

You are on the right track Fred just think about this that once you go boost you will not go back. Jared sayes that you are ready for boost but are the guys that you ride with ready
Glenn
Thanks for the pistons Fred will make sure that it was worth your while.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Looks like we are going to give it a go on one. We will be paying close attention to bore seal and ballooning. We have a couple ideas though!

Should be a fun project and a ripper! I will let everyone know how it goes!

Jake

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Looks like we are going to give it a go on one. We will be paying close attention to bore seal and ballooning. We have a couple ideas though!

Should be a fun project and a ripper! I will let everyone know how it goes!

Jake
I,ve run a 880 last two seasons, The pistons and thin cylinder walls may be a problem, Wiesco pistons swell more so than cast cat 860. Clearance suggested is .066. I would not do it. If you decide to go 880 then pm me , I have a brand new set of custom /coated 880 pistons that you will need!

G
Apr 23, 2008
Putting boost to those thin walls AND expecting the bore to stay somewhat round is asking allot..
Never mind the short distance to oring edge ,, deto even lightly and you best change orings fast..little split hotdogs..........:D
Looking at cylinders in the shop for the 800 r and the old series 3 I don't see it even for my drag race ONLY mentallity..:eek::eek:

correct me if I am wrong but are these using 86 mm pistons ?

Where's the beef ?? LOL even 85mm is outside the window to my crossed eyes :D:D

Wish you the best and keep it out of deto,,
Gus

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Well, maybe we will re think this then. It isnt my sled, which could be issue numero uno. But, the guy is a good tuner and isnt too scared.

The cylinders have pretty thick iron sleeves in them...I know this issue has been hotly debated but I feel an iron sleeve will resist distortion far better than nic over soft aluminum.

Gus, you have a pm. I am nervous about this 880 deal...Have been all along.

Im not worried about clearance issues...we can get that right. Its that upper o-ring...and wall deflection that im nervous about.

Jake

Premium Features