• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rx1 Impulse Midmount Conversion Project

T

TTE

Nov 26, 2007
Norway
Thank you for sharing pics of your conversion :beer; I really like the heat shield you fabricated.

Keep them pics coming - I just got myself a new favorite thread on the web:D:beer;;):):face-icon-small-hap

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
thats a nice lookin sled there... gonna be a RIPPER when all is said and done, that intercooler core doesnt look that big thought... hows it for flowing more air?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Hey m5! Just a question. How come you switched your kits.

2 Main reasons.

1st and foremost I'm getting sick of fixing cracked front mount headers. Paul's midmount header is really beefy and the metalurgy is right once you start doing some research. I have quite a bit of time off this winter and I don't want to spend it switching out headers. Back when I built my sled Blair Parker was building his mid mount system and even then I thought he was on the right track it just took me a few years to figure it out for myself.

2nd The front mount was always poorly balanced, by using the Rev fuel tank the full gas load is moved back at least a foot and probably closer to 18" plus the turbo is moved back and down basically a lower center of gravity for everything which I think is going to make sled handle much better. The more I ride the more I'm starting to think the number on the scale isn't as important as where and how the weight is located.

M5

O
Nov 26, 2007
Alta, Norway
www.scooternorge.no
I talked to Paul @ Impulse about this. He was talking about a basket that was going to be expencive to ship over here. I've seen on some, it looks like it must be some sort of basket that the turbo sits in he was talking about? (didn't get any answers back from my last E-mail to him)

So what is really needed to convert the front mount to this? Header, and some tubing, and possibly the turbo hanger?

Nice build, excactly the same route I hope to go on mine...

M
Jan 14, 2004
I talked to Paul @ Impulse about this. He was talking about a basket that was going to be expencive to ship over here. I've seen on some, it looks like it must be some sort of basket that the turbo sits in he was talking about? (didn't get any answers back from my last E-mail to him)

So what is really needed to convert the front mount to this? Header, and some tubing, and possibly the turbo hanger?

Nice build, excactly the same route I hope to go on mine...

I upgraded to a Gt28 while I was in there but basically you need the header, the hanger (I made my own bracket to hang from the steering bushing bolts), the Apex oil drain kit he has, the fastener kit and the down pipe. Everything else I fabbed or sourced locally. The basket he is talking about is what he mounts where the bulkhead used to have the 4 exhaust holes. All that gets cut away and you need something to fill the space. I made my own plate which ties into the new tunnel piece and the sides of the bulkhead. If you go Rev tank you need to flatten tunnel like in the pics I posted.

M5

Last edited:
O
Nov 26, 2007
Alta, Norway
www.scooternorge.no
I upgraded to a Gt28 while I was in there but basically you need the header, the hanger (I made my own bracket to hang from the steering bushing bolts), the Apex oil drain kit he has, the fastener kit and the down pipe. Everything else I fabbed or sourced locally. The basket he is talking about is what he mounts where the bulkhead used to have the 4 exhaust holes. All that gets cut away and you need something to fill the space. I made my own plate which ties into the new tunnel piece and the sides of the bulkhead. If you go Rev tank you need to flatten tunnel like in the pics I posted.

M5

Excactly. Good info. Do you have any ballpark price on the parts, the tunnel stuff I'll make locally...

T

TTE

Nov 26, 2007
Norway
OBR here is what we need:D:D:D:D for our old RX-tons. I will send you a pm with prices I got from Paul on stuff needed

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
M5

Looks great, The vector will start to come together this weekend and I will share some pictures as well.

Does paul recommend wrapping the header? Or does he discourage it?

Also a very nice looking sled. Interested to see how you cut out the yamaha gas tank cowling.

Would sure think that a turbo mounted in this position will spool even faster than a front mount.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I thought I'd post some update pics. Basically all I have left to do is remount my headlights and finish the tank cowl. I fired the sled up today it smoked for a bit with all the new parts etc but the A/F was 11.9 right out of the shute. This thing just purrs now, way smoother idle than before. I can also notice a much more pronounced whine from the new larger turbo. When you blip the throttle it spools like right now. I'm pretty jacked to try it out. The new REV seat fits pretty well not perfect but not bad. With a little work it could be made perfect. Maybe I'll get to that later. Anyways here's the pics.

M5

IMG_2621 (Medium).JPG IMG_2622 (Medium).JPG IMG_2623 (Medium).JPG IMG_2624 (Medium).JPG IMG_2625 (Medium).JPG IMG_2627 (Medium).JPG IMG_2628 (Medium).JPG

Premium Features