• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 rmk 700

R
Dec 11, 2007
edmonton
sled starts up and runs but the lights are real dim like the element just glows a little. where should a guy start to look? if the sled runs fine it shouldnt be the stator should it thanks

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Your voltage regulator is probably bad. It is located under the hood just above your right foot (black cube mounted to the aluminum in the pic).

DSC_0059.jpg

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
With the sled idling unplug the yellow lead from the voltage regulator. If it is the cause of the problem the lights should come on bright. Don't rev it up with it unplugged though because you could blow all the lights due to high voltage.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
That is exactly how i tested the bad one in the picture before replacing it. I took pictures of the existing wiring before installing the replacement Polaris regulator because the new one was made to fit many models and the wiring had different connectors. It is a quick plug and play swap out.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Just to let you know, Polaris regulators are picky little expensive things. You have to have a draw on them or they will go. LED taillight is not enough either. A regular taillight works though. I went through several of them learning this lesson. I finally went to a Cat regulator and have never had a problem. Plenty of voltage to run aftermarket lights, 2 sets hand warmers, EGT gauges, taillight, and more. Or I can run nothing at all and still not have a problem.

I believe the regulator is for a 900 Cat.

Premium Features