• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Replacing Seals in 2003 Vertical Escape Water Pump

M
Nov 28, 2007
I am losing antifreeze and it is coming from the water pump. I'm curious if anyone has had to replace these seals before? I'm trying to determine if I have to remove the ignition housing off of the motor.. or if I can take the water pump cover off the back of the housing and just swap out the seals. I'm not sure if there is room there to do that with the coolant piping being in the way. I think I will have to take the ignition housing off but just want to be sure.

Also do I need a special tool to remove or install either of these seals? And does anyone know if the bearings on the waterpump shaft are actually ball bearings or are they a ceramic bushing. I haven't decided if I am going to replace the bearings or not. If they are ball bearings I probably will but if they are the ceramic bushing type probably not. I think I just have a seal that went bad.

Thanks for your help.

P
I had a 700 that was doing the same thing and i did it all myself. I just took off the back cover and the cooler hose. It wasn't too bad and I don't remember if I had to use any special tools. As for the bearings they are ball bearing and I went to a bearing house locally to pick them up. If you take the old bearing they can match it up, I think that they were like $2.00 each and Polaris wanted something like $30.00 for them.

Good luck

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Buy 2 or 3 seals because you are going to destroy the first one just trying to get it in and sealed. Better change the bearing too. I use oil on the axle to help the seal seat itself in it's correct position. And I use thread lock on the nut to keep it from coming loose. While your at it, get a new axle because the oil pump will enlarge the split gap at the end. Make sure the impellar does not rub on anything. Especially the aluminum housing. If it does, then it throws off metal particles that destroy it. Don't lose any washers and make sure you get them all back where they are supposed to go. Test your seal before reinstalling on the sled, by plugging up two holes with your hand and blowing on the third. It cannot leak any air at this point.

M
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I don't have my sled in my garage right now to work on so it will probably be a few weeks before I get to it, but I will take your comments and use them. I appreciate everyone's help.

Premium Features