• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

4 stroke bug - 07 apex vs 02 800 polaris???

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
Never ridden a 4-stroke, but tired of having fears of my 800 crank failing. 4-stroke just seems so much more bullet proff. Found a deal that may work out. I no longer highmark, but I do love climbing 'climbable hills" Love to explore and boondock. Seldom if ever have serious deep powder here in WA. Typically can't get off work to hit fresh dumps.

Anyone share their opinions on the differences I would have from my 02 Edge?

hp #'s are about the same, track would be 162 vs my 159.

I would love the reliability and getting rid of the smell on my clothes. My wifes number on complaint is smoke and smell of 2-cycles, so this would be my transition to 4s.

btw, also compare a Phazer to a 95 Polaris 500 indy, That is my kid/wife sled.

D
Nov 30, 2007
Your reasons for switching are the same as mine, I bought an 08 Apex Mtx last fall, I am not into highmarking, I use it for boondocking, playing on hills (I do like to climb but I dont have to be the highest) I am basically going to leave it stock. I love the sled, start and go, dont have to worry about oil dont smell at the end of the day, etc. But it is heavy when stuck!! When riding it you dont really notice the weight though. It does take a bit of getting use to though, they arent a "lazy mans sled" you have to ride it, is what I noticed. As for comparing it to the Polaris, I really dont know, but my friend also has an Apex, coming off the same sled you have now, and he is more that happy, figures they are pretty close to the same performance wise. This is just my opinion. I do ride in powder and it does pretty good in stock form, once you get use to it.

flatlander77

Lifetime Membership
May 1, 2009
Flat and Hard pack!!
If your are looking for a good 4stroke i would look into the nytro if you can put the money out for a new one i recommend the 2010 nytro se but an 08-09 are nice rides too. they dont have the weight of an apex, but close on hp and performace. Dont get me wrong the apex is alsome i do ride one. The phazer is close to a 500. I think it could use more track might help it in the deep snow but does do well. that is my opinion

B

Blaster

Dec 31, 2007
I replaced my 03 vertical escape with a 07 apex. I would way rather ride the apex. Handles better. Nice power. Only thing the 03 has on it is mountains. Never had them out together, but pretty sure my vertical would outdo it. I've never rode a nytro, but if you can throw around the 02 the apex will be nothing for ya. I did it for the same reason, except I kind of got burned when I took the crank out of my apex after 9km. Figure it was ran upside down before I got it (no oil). Ya I know, who buys a yamaha over a 800 and takes the crank out? Other than that I say do it.

D
Nov 30, 2007
If your are looking for a good 4stroke i would look into the nytro if you can put the money out for a new one i recommend the 2010 nytro se but an 08-09 are nice rides too. they dont have the weight of an apex, but close on hp and performace. Dont get me wrong the apex is alsome i do ride one. The phazer is close to a 500. I think it could use more track might help it in the deep snow but does do well. that is my opinion
I rode a Nytro and personally it wasnt for me, it didnt do as nearly as good on the hills, and just seemed to need more track speed (can be fixed with gearing I would guess), that is just my opinion, I hope they did some changes to it for this year with the longer track

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
If you are coming off an Edge the Apex will will feel a little wierd to ride at first but you'll get used to it.
If you are comparing an Apex MTX vs. an 02 800 Edge RMK with a 159 and otherwise stock vs. Stock the Apex would certainly be my choice.

The Phaser MTX on the other hand is a trail sled in stock form. With a track and some rear suspension mods it can be a good kids/small adult powder sled.

Last edited:
E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I came off a M1000 that ran real well and I switched to an 06 Apex with some light weight stuff on it... All I can say is I had the best year ever riding the Apex... if nothing else it taught me how to be a more technical rider. It still went the same places my M1000 did just not in a straight line.

If you get one, look for a boss seat and spend the money on clutching after that look for a light weight exhaust. Those were a couple of things that helped the sled... clutching is a must, really makes the sled wake up.

Now I have a turbo on it... sure is fun!:)

flatlander77

Lifetime Membership
May 1, 2009
Flat and Hard pack!!
I rode a Nytro and personally it wasnt for me, it didnt do as nearly as good on the hills, and just seemed to need more track speed (can be fixed with gearing I would guess), that is just my opinion, I hope they did some changes to it for this year with the longer track

I was able to ride a 2010 nytro last yr and compair it to a 2009 same day same snow. the 2010 is way better on the hills better in the powder. just the changes they made on the rear skid is what made it alsome!!! The less weight helps out also. A person coming off a 2 stroke i think it would be a better choice of sled (2010 nytro se) but the best advice I can give is demo ride the sleds you are looking at. If albe to same day test ride. that way you can make a choice on your own riding style.

K

khk

Dec 3, 2007
Underwood WA
I came from a 02 rmk also and bout a 06 Apex and loved it one of the best sleds I have owned it will take you some time to get used to it there is a learning curve to the sled. I ran mine for two years and then sold it and did a turbo Nytro. there are still thing that I do like better about the Apex and would be surprised if you were unhappy with it. I ran a Hartman clutch kit in it the second year and that made a amazing difference. I got the wife a phaser and she came from a 98 rmk 600 and did not like it and switch to the Nytro and is happy now. the track on the phaser just did not cut it for the riding she did and she wanted more power. hope this helps

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
I think you've got lots of comments on the Apex but from the reasons you've listed it sounds like a 4stroke is for you. It's a totally different animal and will take time to adjust to (compression braking, completely different throttle response...hp/torque curve, and rider forward/cetralized mass).

The Poo 500 Indy...is that the 488 fan cool? My wife switch from '96 Yami Phazer (485 fan cool) to a '08 Phazer Mtn. The '08 Phazer 500 motor feels more like a 2-stroke than the Apex motor, less compression braking and power seems high i nthe rpm range. It is tippy but it's supposed to be...it's not a trail sled. My wife is a "green" rider, and probably always will be but she hasn't tipped it yet. I have had other green riders on it that have though. If you're going to try and "rail" around a corner you better have your *** hanging over the side! They found my Apex, which has no sway bar, easier to ride.

l8r ,shawn.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Apex is a really nice sled after u put some time on it, I took about 96 lbs off of mine and run a 174-2.5 track. Go with simmons gen 2 (with the cut outside edge) (ive posted pics search) and gearing/clutching 19/42 or 18/42 NOT a sled for a novice rider does really good in deep snow, not very good at all in semi-deep. And if u get her stuck...hahahaha....bring a spare back along as its a major pain..I would try and get one someone had dumped cash into already ad you can put 5k in it like right now dropping weight....oh motor is bullitproof...i ride 3500+ mi a year btw

Premium Features