• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 nytro sub frame (help)

M
Nov 27, 2007
Fort st. John B.C
i just took my front sub frame off to weld in extra braces before it gets bent & noticed my one side the shock coil spring is almost touching the back of my upper a arm. am i to late does this mean the sub frame is already bent or what do i look for. my welder is supose to weld in the braces tomorrow night any help would be appreciated thanks

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
i bent mine a couple times on my nytro . it happens lots , even just catching a skag on the trailer has bent mine. Ive also seen braced ones bend as well . id say if the shock isnt touching the a arm leave it and run it untill its bent beyond repair IMO

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Best guess is, its bent..
If you have the subframe out, you should be able to eyeball some issues w/ the suframe.
Bent/tweaked a-arms can screw this up too..but if you have stock parts, I bet the subframe is tweaked and not the stock arms.

SSE

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
MN
When you go back together with what you choose to do. Watch the wiring harness on the engine block above the primary clutch. Follow the Harness in along the engine support (the big aluminum cast peice) above the primary clutch and follow it forward and down. Under the harness you will fine a Nipple that was part of the cast on the block of the engine. you can grind it off or just tie the harness up with a zip tie, thats probabaly the easyist. That way you dont have an electrical issue in the future. I just installed an 09 frame on and 08 nytro and saw this issue. I did come to find that there is a bulletin on the matter from Yamaha. But I just thought i would pass it along incase you did not know. If you already did.. great! and sorry for taking the space on your thread!:D

M
Nov 27, 2007
Fort st. John B.C
(When you go back together with what you choose to do. Watch the wiring harness on the engine block above the primary clutch. Follow the Harness in along the engine support (the big aluminum cast peice) above the primary clutch and follow it forward and down. Under the harness you will fine a Nipple that was part of the cast on the block of the engine. you can grind it off or just tie the harness up with a zip tie, thats probabaly the easyist. That way you dont have an electrical issue in the future. I just installed an 09 frame on and 08 nytro and saw this issue. I did come to find that there is a bulletin on the matter from Yamaha. But I just thought i would pass it along incase you did not know. If you already did.. great! and sorry for taking the space on your thread! )

thanks but i already had that issue i wish my dealer had told me about this before or yamaha should have sent out letters to owners of this problem it left me stranded last year.as for my sub frame i was looking at it & the bottom a arm is back about 1/2 inch compared to the top one but i can't find any thing wrong or bent in the frame thanks for the info it was more than my dealer gave me

Last edited:
P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
its very hard to tell on the subframe when its out if its bent or not . the mounting point only has be be tweaked a very small amount for the a arm to be set back a 1/2 inch . I bend mine back using a block of wood and a sledge hammer . it seems to do the trick .set the piece of wood against the back/bottom of the spindle and hit it with the hammer . the wood is just so you don't mar the paint. Ive done this a couple times and find i can't really tell the difference while riding if the subframe is bent or not ? I just do this now if the a arm is close to touching my shocks ( i run floats though so that wouldn't be good if they did ) Its not the most sophisticated way of fixing the sub frame problem of my 08 but its worked for me and hasn't cost me a thing

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
yep, bent seems fine

Yeah, my left side is tweaked, and I can't tell the difference. I hit this tree like a year or two ago which I guess is when it happened but nevertheless it doesn't seem to affect the handling of the sled, I don't see myself fixing this until the spring is rubbing on the a-arm.

Premium Features