• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cutting down Simmons Gen 2...outside and rear?

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
How many of you have cut the outside edge off the Gen2 to make it lay over easier and the back like a Powder pro to help with side hilling? I know 2XM3 has done this and his look really nice....he swears by it....anyone else have ski mods for the Gen.2?

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
i have i found it made the skis carve much nicer and they still kept the nytro up on top of the pow on even the deepest day !

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
only one person I've seen with pics

2XM3 is the only forum member who I've seen with pics.....I seen something about it last year on Totallyamaha.com but wasn't running them so I didn't really pay a lot of attention.....wish I would have now. Hope he finds this post and helps us out with his pics.....I remember it looking like a smart Idea.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
i left about 3inches more on my skis than the skis in the picture on the other thread . its super simple to do i used a cordless saw and was done in 5 minutes !

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I have asked this question before and have not received a clear answer. Being kind of an anal guy, how much is cut off of the width? 1", 2", 3" ???? I was told that the cut should start 1" behind the spindle. Can someone provide some clear measurements please? Thanks!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
This works purrfect --- just go gitr done not to much to worry just don't go ahead of the spindle. In the grand scheme of life what is a inch here or there :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
Bingo....

Why not ahead of the spindle? The one picture goes way ahead of the spindle

>>>
I too wondered this, in the pics from 2XM3 he cut his up about 1" in front of the spindle and it looks real nice this way. Seems like it would allow the sled to role on it's out side dge easier when carving in tight slow area's? I've spoken to him about his mod and he swears by it with no ill effects. "Powdermuncher" what is your thought on this.....meaning will it create problems if cut to far forward?

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Don't really see any downfall to cutting infront of the spindle. I do think that if you dont cut in front of the spindle i dont think you would really notice much.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If you cut in front of the spindle you loose some of the effect -- the frond end is lift that you need to make the ski turn -- the rear is release to allow it to push down as the frond lifts.

That is what makes it ccccccccarve...........:rolleyes:

So if you feel that it turns to much you could make it a less aggressive carver by cutting more toward the front. The more material you remove the easier it is to role the sled on its side, but to make it carve you need the balance. Think of it like power steering you use the ski to do the carving instead of you forcing the sled with your own strength.

It will help a certain amount no matter what you do -- the question is what is the right balance ??
Start small you can always cut more.

By the way I did kind of guess the cut out roughly from looking at a friends Powder pro ski --- HRP has done that on there skis for years.

R

ridehard1212

Nov 26, 2007
LANGLEY BC
will taking a torch to a White gen two restore factory shiny look or will it change the color of the ski??? i guess i could try it with the cut off piece :beer;

Premium Features